Author Topic: Do Cats "Bulk-Up" for the Winter?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do Cats "Bulk-Up" for the Winter?
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:28 AM »
My two kittens are about nine months old now.  The female, who always has enjoyed her meals, just seems chubby to me.  But, at this age and size, it's hard to tell if she's overweight, or just has a stocky build.

A friend was looking at her, and said that her cats (indoors only, never go outside) all bulk up during the winter, and then slim down when the weather warms up.  Another friend says that that's because Friend #1 doesn't heat the house, and the cats are forced to put on layers of fat, to so their bodies can keep warm. 

I do heat the house.  And my kitten has been stocky since she was wee.

Any ideas?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do Cats "Bulk-Up" for the Winter?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:37:58 AM »
Maybe she is just getting older and not playing off soo many calories...I've also noticed that after you fix some of them they tend to fatten up more-have you spayed her? maybe thats why your seeing a difference....All of ours are outside cats with full access to the greenhouse....they bulk up more in the summer time than they do the winter though....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:44:45 AM »
My cat gets chubbier over the winter but it is because he doesn't go out and otherwise he comes and goes at will through the doggie door.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:46:49 PM »
Outdoor cats do bulk up for the winter and their fur gets much longer and thicker.  I have indoor cats that don't change with the seasons, except they shed more in the summer.  Spayed female cats have a tendency to become chubby, probably a horomonal thing.  Males tend to just get LARGE all over  :o  My outside cats are so furry with the cold temps, they almost don't even look like the same cats that they were this summer  :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:04:37 AM »
Is your kitten spayed?
At 9 months, she can be pregnant, especially is the other kitten is a male, not neutered yet.

Otherwise, cats also grow a 'winter' coat of fur, which is almost twice as thick as the summer coat.
My big male Maine Coon Willow seems to double in size over the winter, especially his tail. It's all fur though. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:21:01 PM »
My thoughts were the same as Joyce's. maybe you are going to have more kittens if she is not spayed. :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 08:41:08 AM »
Oh no, no chance of kittens.  Both the male and the female were fixed in October.

She's just always had a stocky build, and her life seems to revolve around food. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »
Oh good. That's just what you wanted to hear. LOL. Not fat, not fur, more fuzzies.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
It's days like these (11 degrees with a 40 mph wind making the wind chill around -15) that I wish I had fur too!  Man, it's MEAN outside.  Come to think of it, i kinda bulk up in the winter too   :D   :P   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"