Author Topic: The Getty Villa  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The Getty Villa
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »
We went back to The Getty Villa in Santa Monica today for the first time since it was renovated in 2006...it is modeled after a Roman home which was buried by the Mt. Versuvius eruption...it was a beautiful day, although most of the gardens are experiencing their January dormancy.

East Garden/Fountain

Outer Peristyle Pool and Hall

Water Garden

Fountain

Inner Peristyle

It's a must see if you're in SoCal and want to spend a leisurely day amongst Greek and Roman architecture and sculpture

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Getty Villa
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:56:52 AM »
Wow! All it takes is time and money, huh?  :o

Any idea how true to the original the design is? Were there information displays comparing the Getty Villa to the original?
When Vesuvius erupted, weren't there earthquakes? My impression is that most of Pompeii was in rubble.

Interesting contrast, isn't it? The Romans lifted the ceilings and opened everything up. The Moors enclosed things, and built screens to keep out the sun and modify the winds.
Different approaches to a dry, hot climate.

Next time I'm in that area, I'll have to go take the tour.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:46:59 AM »
Did they really live there at one time? Wow!!

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »
Very nice. Do you still need reservations for parking?

I have not been there since the new Getty opened - I forgot how nice it is.

Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:02:27 PM »
Great photos of the wonderful Villa.  And it's free!  But you still need to pay a low fee for parking.  Definitely a must-see.

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Mike: Parking reservations are required, but are available on-line.

Sunbeam: The Getty Villa incorporates architectural features from a number of Roman houses, but it was designed to generally imitate a villa owned by Caesar's father-in-law in Herculaneum, a city north of Pompeii which was also buried by the eruption...however, the Herculaneum villa was never fully excavated due to a change in Italian archaelogical philosophy which now favors "conservation" over excavation... Pompeii suffered a major earthquake 17 years before Versuvius and was essentially rebuilt when the volcano erupted...ironically, the many feet of ash and mud from the eruption that covered Pompeii helped to preserve it...we visited Pompeii about fifteen years ago and found that it has much more of the feel of an ancient "Roman city" than other sites where there are only a few structures standing.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:31:18 PM »
I'm trying to recall correctly but I believe those statues had some weird eyes either painted or attached on them.  When we inquired we were told that all the artifacts had been shipped off to a warehouse for storage and safekeeping during the years the facility was renovated.  I believe she told us that the warehouse is HUGE......and as yet they hadn't found the eyes......
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:52:25 PM »
Mikey...you're correct, many of the statues have painted eyes and gemstone pupils, which is said to be typical of ancient Roman statues which were often brightly painted...interestingly, our docent pointed out that a few of the less vigilently watched outdoor statues are missing gemstone pupils...which she attributed to souvenir-seeking visitors.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"