Author Topic: my humble above-ground/in-ground pond build in progress  (Read 2404 times)

Offline lambeaufan71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
my humble above-ground/in-ground pond build in progress
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »
I've got a "construction in progress" post on the Gardenweb pond forum also, but I figured I would post one here as well (Gardenweb just ain't what it used to be...).  Long-time lurker here, first-time poster.  This is my first pond, and I'm sure I'll learn a LOT along the way.

I'll update this as I continue to work on it as time allows. The above-ground portion of the pond will be constructed of stacked 4X4s that are 8' in length. The 5'X5' middle portion will be dug 2' below ground level. The pond will be 1,300+ total gallons. Here's the progress that was made on 01/01/09

The dream begins! 8'X8' square

12"X12" pavers laid out, pond frame will sit on them, supervisors in top-right corner

5'X5' deep portion in the middle, only about 6" deep at this point, tree roots galore
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:58:42 PM by lambeaufan71 »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: my humble above-ground/in-ground pond as its built
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »
Welcome former Lurker!  Digging is the hardest part of ponding, in my own personal experience anyway!  Keep us up to date and you know how we love photos!   O0

Happy New Year!

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: my humble above-ground/in-ground pond build in progress
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »
WELCOME....lorraine...     o(:-)
lorraine

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
Hey, it sounds like you have a good plan and a good start. Are you going to use rebar through the 4X4s?

Good luck with your project O0

Steve

My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline lambeaufan71

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
Are you going to use rebar through the 4X4s?

Yes, rebar vertically through all of the levels down to ground level on each corner and then again in the middle of each side section.  I'm also considering using 6" lag screws or something similar at various points, although that might be overkill.  Can't hurt though I suppose.

I finally get to work on it some more over the next three days.  I work 3 on 3 off, so its been bugging me staring out at the meager Day 1 progress each of the last three nights  ;D

Offline lambeaufan71

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
Here's the progress that was made on digging today.  I use the term 'digging' loosely here, because it was more prying rocks out with crowbar, cutting tree roots the size of my wrist and larger with loppers, and then scooping out the dirt and smaller rocks with my hands for the most part.  It's about 15" deep in most spots, and I'm considering calling it good on the digging, other than finishing out the corners and leveling it.  I had originally intended to go four stacked 4x4s high on the sides, now I think I'll go six high.  That will still make it slightly over 3 ft deep in the deeper middle portion and 2' deep elsewhere.  For an idea of the size of some of the roots, look at the top edge underneath the red shovel.

But tomorrow's another day!  Maybe I'll be inspired to pick up the shovel again.  Although I would also not mind being able to get by with a 15' X 15' liner, if I go much deeper I think that won't be possible.  But we'll see  O0

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
I feel you on the digging part.  I just dumped about a ton of dirt and cement.  If I could suggest something, it would be to make shelves for plants.  You could stop digging and go wider with the 4x4s.  When spring comes around lots of people will be selling plants for a great price.  Trust me on this.  Water lilies are addictive.  Thanks for sharing and welcome.
Alfonso

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »
I agree with landey.  If you can go wider, go for it.  You won't regret it.  By the time you get plants and fish in there, you'll be wishing it was bigger.  Looks like you have plenty of room for expanding.  Believe me, one pond just isn't enough... ;)

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline DougHurth

• Members
  • With us since: 09/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Hurth Waterscapes
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
I would always agree that if it is possible, bigger is better.  Most folks that I meet think that their pond could have, should have been bigger.
Doug Hurth
Hurth Waterscapes

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »
lambeaufan71 (Love the name)  Great to see a pond in progress when up here in WI it is so cold and snow covered.  Where about in SW MO are you?  My son lives in Walnut Grove, outside of Springfield.  You have a great start there, it will be great to watch your progress.  I agree go as big as you can afford and have room for and of course you can maintain, seems a lot of ponders end up enlarging sometimes as soon as the next season.  We did not want the hassle of rebuilding and had room so we just built another one.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline lambeaufan71

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 08:57:39 AM »
I'm in the Carthage area, which is east of Joplin.  I'm about 50 mins west of Springfield.  Now my ground's all froze up too, thanks to this arctic deep-freeze that moved through  >:(

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
Well you are not to far from them then, they are a bit north of you off of hwy 160 between Ash Grove and Willard.  I know what kind of ground and weather you are working with now.  Give the cooler weather a short time it will pass, you can take the time to rest and tweak any thoughts you have of building.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"