Author Topic: Christmas presents  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Christmas presents
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
Did I already post these??? THink I did. Oh well. 
Tomorrow I'll take pictures of the stuff Ken made for us.

Oh and now I can talk about it because one of these sets was for Cindi on this forum. We made 7 sets of wind chimes. 6 were identical and made out of aluminum conduit. One was made from copper tubing. That one was given to Pete's plumbing boss.

Here is Santa in his workshop. 

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:34:56 PM by Esther »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas presents
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Fabulous gift idea!  I like the handmade gifts the best!

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 06:45:44 AM »
Those look great, Esther.  What did you use for the round rings that hold the pipes?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »
Very, VERY cool...and made to last.  @O@
We have so much wind here, I'm lucky to get one year per windchime.  ::)
(but I often fix 'em myself when possible)
Can't find 'em that well made in stores!  :no:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Most sets that we saw in places like Hobby Lobby or the flower/craft stores used fishline or a nylon cord to string the pipes/tubes from. I have a set and the cord was beginning to cut through where it went through the tube. So I wanted something less likely to break. Somewhere along the line I saw online to string the tubes from chain and wire. So that is what we did. We mostly used eye hooks to suspend the chain. On the copper set, we found gold colored chain, maybe brass, and used gold cup hooks that I squeezed the hook shut. The top of the copper set was a 4 x 4 deck post topper that already had a nice copper top on it. I attached an outdoor faucet handle to the clapper of that one just for fun seeing it was for Pete's boss who runs the plumbing company. I did polish the copper to a bright sheen and sprayed it with gloss poly. But my guess is that it won't stay that way very long. The wire we used was soft enough to easily bend it with the needle nose pliers but stiff enough to still hold the round shape after the tubes were strung up. I don't know what gauge it was as it was wire we already had. We did try to suspend the tubes directly from the chain by hooking a short length on each side and then bring them up to the long one. Somehow, it hindered the vibration and the tubes didn't ding right so tore that one apart. The copper had quite a different tone. It wasn't bad but I liked the sound of the aluminum ones better.

You can see in the one picture, the cedar wooden bucket. That goes in my wishing well and will have Hens and Chix in it. Pete was so happy with the outcome of the first bucket that he made two more a little taller though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:45:07 AM by Esther »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
Here's a bluebird house that Ken made for my DH.

This is my Little Red School wren house. Notice the doorbell.

Ken woodburned the design in the windchime wind catcher. This is one side.

And then the other side.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »
They look good Esther but what part of it did you do? ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:47:09 PM »
That is so cool ! They look GREAT !

bonnie

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
Great job Esther @O@
You did a really nice job and they will last so much longer made with the chain instead of nylon line.

I just love to give and receive home made gifts.  Years ago we made all of our gifts.  We had kind of gotten away from it (don't buy for as many as we used to) but this year we made several things.  We even hung a sign on the basement door "Santa's workshop, do not enter".

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 05:19:08 AM »
Well let's see.  I sanded and put the coats of poly on the wood pieces. Pete (my DH) cut and smoothed the cut edges of the pipes and cut out the clapper and the top pieces of wood. Ken (Pete's son) woodburned the designs on the wind catchers. I did all the stringing and put everything together.

Pete was working on 3 cedar buckets and I was working on the chess stuff for Ian.
Pete cut the dividers for the chess pieces and I did the sanding and finish applications.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:12:14 AM by Esther »

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 05:30:51 AM »
They're beautiful Esther!  You're team has done a great job.  I love wind chimes.  Several days ago we had quite a wind storm and I awoke to the sound of my chimes singing away outside our bedroom window.  Some might imagine it would be a jangly sound but it's not, it's very melodic and quite beautiful.

You've given me a good idea for how to fix a set that had the string rotted through by the sun this summer.  Thank you.
emm

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »
The chain can be a little pricey. The first was from Ace Hardware and was .99 a '. Then we found some similar at Home Depot for .49 a '. Then I found a box of 20' of a little larger chain for $5.69. It worked just as well on the last set we did. I used just about 6' per set. (3 6" lengths on the top of the wood plate, 5 6" to hang tubes from the bottom of the plate, and 2 12" lengths to suspend the clapper and wind catcher) But it depends on the length of the tubes too. Our tubes were 12", 13", 14", 15", & 16". Some of the sets had the holes to string them from drilled way down, maybe 2-3" but the last two sets we did the holes close to the end. I don't know why we did the first ones so far down. Probably because directions we found online said to. I suspect that the reason the commercially produced sets use fishline or nylon cord is that it is so much cheaper to use. BUTTTTTT it is a real pain to string. The chain was so simple. The hardest part was determining the position of 5 tubes. Once we figured it, we put it on a paper template and just did the predrilling through the paper on the wood for the eye hooks. You'll need 12 eye screws and a key chain ring or S hook at the very top to hang it from.

So 3 6" lengths of chain attached together to the ring on one end and to 3 eye screws that are screwed into the 7" top plate. On the bottom of the plate you'll need 5 eye screws evenly placed around the outside about 1/2" in from the edge for the tubes and one in the very center to suspend the clapper. The clapper was about 2 1/2" across with two smaller eye screws in both sides of center. I say smaller because the longer ones wouldn't screw all the way in the 1 X without touching. The wind catcher was made out of some 1/4" oak that I had. But anything would work to catch the wind. I put a couple of coats of poly on the wood.

Any of these measurements could be adjusted depending on the size set you want. The conduit was $4.69 for a 10' length. We used 3/4". So if you wanted to get 2 sets from the 10' length, you'd have to make the tubes shorter, like maybe 9 7/8, 10 7/8, 11 7/8, 12 7/8, & 13 7/8. We cut the conduit with a hand pipe cutter made to cut steel pipe. It could be cut with a hack saw but will leave some sharp little burrs that have to be reamed out. We used a round file to smooth the cut edges so they wouldn't be so sharp.

There is a way to determine certain tones but I didn't care much. It sounded too complicated for me. If you are interested, just Google "make wind chimes" and you'll run across several sets of instructions.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 12:01:12 PM »
I'm printing your last post Esther and putting your instructions with my chime that needs to be repaired.  Won't get to it right away but appreciate the information.  Will save me lots of figuring out.  Thanks again.
emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"