Author Topic: How much weight did you gain over the holidays?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
How much weight did you gain over the holidays?
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
I am mortified with a BIG 12 ! ugh! >:(- >:(-  Besides the holiday festivities my birthday didn't help.
No more bread, or sweets.  Veggies and fruits only .  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Oh yes I did love the Sees chocolates and something called Cactus candy. The pies were good too.
I lost my mind, thank God I don't drink!
Gained all this while steadily exercising too. >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: How much weight did you gain over the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »
I don't know, my scale needs a battery but I'm sure I did gain. With being stuck in the house for a week with so much snow there wasn't much else to do but eat.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 01:23:48 PM »
One of the advantages of being a single person is that you don't have all that holiday food around.  At parties, yes, there is fattening food.  But once you leave the party, all that food is left behind.  And I don't keep that sort of stuff in the house. 

The main issue with me is being off work for so long, and being less active than usual.  I do exercise every day, though, so I rarely gain any weight over the holidays.   

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
I gained around seven pounds but I've taken two back off. My youngest brother is bringing my nephew back to his mother in Deland and he's stopping by here to pick up an aquarium and two goldfish for my nepher to take home with him. After that, I've got to get back to my projects and finding a job. Oh, my wife lost her job this week, so we're both looking again.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:37:06 PM »
Best I can tell, I gained about 3 lbs.  The bad news is that makes it about 40 lbs I could stand to lose now. :)  So I've been put on a diet.  Savannah and her daughter started around Christmas... and I started yesterday.

Gads.  Anyone else getting mugged by their New Years resolutions? :) :) :)

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »
I've only gained 2 lb's . I stayed away from the sweet's most of the time .. ;D and didn't keep any around the house .

bonnie

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
I did pretty good.........stayed the same.
I have been dieting since September and have lost about 25 pounds.  I did eat things I shouldn't have, but just small amounts, except for Christmas Eve......I got carried away with the peanut butter balls.

I just wish I could get into regularly exercising.  I had been walking 3 miles a day, but deer season started in November and I am afraid to walk my trail back through the woods.  I got out the treadmill in the basement and even hooked up a small tv in front of it.  It is so boring, and I can think of a million excuses not to go down there.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
Recently gained seems to be easily lost. I did knock off 3 lbs.  ;D The rate of loss will slow down.

I read once that gaining an losing is bad because your body remembers and tries to hang on to the fat.  A way of fighting starvation.
Some cultures tend to be chubby because their ancestors faced famine often.  They developed  over eons the ability to store fat. Thus some BIG butts and chunky bodies.
Not my opinion but that of anthropologists.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
"2" much
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
Thanks Jerry. I knew there had to be a reason I was fat besides being my fault. LOL. No really, I know it is my fault. The more there are things out of control around me that affect me, the more I eat. When things are going well and health and  money is OK I seem to be fine but the minute we lose a tenant and are faced with another mess, I fall waaaay off the wagon. I don't need the holidays for an excuse. Another problem is that I like to cook so often do.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
I know the fault is mine, but it would be nice if the wife didn't surround me with goodies.
Yes, we have fought over it.  A battle I can't win.  So when it comes down to it, it has to be our own doing.
I know one can be fit and fat!   I have been biking 4 to 5 days a week for many years and am exemplary on my annual treadmill test at the Dr's.  Some of it is gravity too.  I played ball at this weight and had no gut.
Oh to get into my cowboy cut Levis again! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »
Worked too hard over the holidays to gain weight!   But I have lots of weight to loose.  Must have had ancestors who didn't have enough to eat... {:-P;;  Yeah that's the ticket and my excuse from here on out.  :D

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
??? I dont know what I gained over the holidays but I do know I keep gaining anyway...
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
 I gained debt and spent so much we actually couldn't eat so I did not gain any weight.

Hey has anyone ever heard of wrapping paper and ribbon salad? It is pretty tasty with the right  amount of dressing.

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »
"Some cultures tend to be chubby because their ancestors faced famine often.  They developed  over eons the ability to store fat. Thus some BIG butts and chunky bodies.
Not my opinion but that of anthropologists."

That is fascinating, Jerry, and I'm glad you printed it.  I have always wondered why photos of Aborigines (sp), for instance, show such stocky bodies and round cheeks, when they are living tough lives foraging off the land.

And you're right about gravity, too.  I weigh only about 2 lbs more than I have for decades, but it sure LOOKS different.  That weight rearranges itself, and never seems to fit back in the places it used to be.

Pondman, sorry to hear about the job loss.  My neighbor was laid off recently, too.  Man, this economy thing is getting scary!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
forget the holiday...its been adding up all year....on my diet again--only one pair of jeans fit me and I've gotten rid of all my larger ones when I lost 65 lbs. the year before....so either I lose the weight or have to wear my pjs out....and even though that seems to be the style now days---I refuse to wear my pjs everywhere....Its bad enough I wear them around the house most of the time....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
I didn't gain anything, but I've been pretty good this year. We had lots of antipasto-type appetizers and a big roast beef. Lots of bacon, sausage, and eggs for breakfasts. Lots of shrimp cocktail, pickled herring, and smoked salmon. I only made three batches of cookies and we didn't eat too many. The kids wiped out all the rest.

Whew. We made it through.  O0

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
I don't think it's bad to wear PJs around the house.  Just make sure to wear something that LOOKS like it is not necessarily pajamas.  Like sweats.  When it's cold, I wear sweats layered over as many T-shirts as necessary to keep warm, and I hate like heck to take any of that off, just to put on jeans just so I can leave the house.  So I go where I need to go in my sweats, nice and warm, and don't worry about what other people think.

That's one of the rights of passage for people over 45.  {:-P;;

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:38 AM »
Jerry said: "Some cultures tend to be chubby because their ancestors faced famine often.  They developed  over eons the ability to store fat. Thus some BIG butts and chunky bodies.

I'm with Jerry on this one!!!!   (See?  It's not my fault, and it isn't the double-chunk-uber-fudge-mega-overload brownies either.  It's my danged ancestors!!!!!)

I'm the victim here.  @O@  lol  O0  {:-P;;  :D

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 05:56:16 AM »
Just checked, didn't gain a pound.

I'll start worrying when I start loosing weight :o

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 06:04:26 AM »
Its not the pounds, its the inches. :(
Over the past 8years, I have gained about 50. But I started underweight. So now I'm only fat, not morbidly obese.
But none of my nice clothes fit.  :o

We are trying Weight Watchers. It has promise because its not a diet - its a system of moderation. So far, my daughter, who is more diligent than I am, has lost 5 pounds in two weeks - a nice steady drop.
I didn't weigh to start - didn't want the depression.
We have a "weigh in" on January 11th. I'll use that as a starting weight.

Its becoming a health issue - you can't put all that extra weight on an already weak back without waking up every morning creaking like a rusty garden gate.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 10:18:09 AM »
I went to Weight Watches once, all they talked about was eating "diet" foods. Foods with artificial sweeteners and the like. Diet pop and diet mayo and diet ice cream. They were also focused on eating because of emotions. I quit going. I think many of those "diet" foods are worse for you than the regular stuff in moderation and I don't eat when I am sad.

I feel my biggest problem is eating regular meals. I tend to get busy and skip meals then be starving. I think this makes my body hold on to the fat. The old feast or famine theory. Humans are primates and primates are designed to eat all day not a huge meal and then nothing.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"