Author Topic: 1-4-09 yammering Braeden update scroll down  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
1-4-09 yammering Braeden update scroll down
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:41:54 PM »
Braeden got pretty low over Christmas so they took him to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. They decided several things. The morphine wasn't doing the trick to keep his pain under control so they put an epidural tube right into his spine. This seems to be doing the trick better. They removed almost 12 ounces of fluid from his lungs so he's breathing better now. Imagine a pop can full from the lungs of a 3 year old.

There is still some crud in his lungs but the respiratory therapist is watching that very carefully and they are doing breathing treatments every day. Evidently he doesn't like that machine and when she said today that she wasn't going to use it, he wiped the back of his hand across his forehead, indicating relief. Then she said maybe tomorrow he wouldn't have to have it either if he still was doing well. He gave her a thumbs up signal. SO CUTE. About made me cry seeing him so sick but still having a sense of humor. She asked if he would give her a smile and he did manage to twitch the corners of his mouth and ALMOST smile.

He still has the pee pee bag and has another tube pulling any fluids out of his tummy. He is nauseus at times even though he's only receiving clear fluids. He was able to sit up today alone so is gaining strength.

Since the time early in the fall when Dawn and Kevin began to receive flyers from toy stores, Braeden has been yammering for a Home Depot tool kit. This kit has a power drill, a jig saw, a sawzall with two blades, a flashlight and two interchangeable batteries just like a real set of power tools. Kevin couldn't resist getting it for him for Christmas. He wants to fix motorcycles and racecars with it when he grows up he said. Kevin said that yesterday when Braeden was still pretty sick and sleeping a lot, the drill layed on his chest with his finger on the trigger. Every so often they would hear, "RRRR RRRR" and they'd look and Braeden still had his eyes closed but was making the drill work.

Here's the latest Care Pages:
This morning I was awakened at 5 am by a little voice chattering away to Leslie, his night nurse. What a wonderful sound. Granted, this may be the last time I say that. It was rather early... :-)

He is doing better today. Still chewing through blood and platelets, he got more platelets already today, but he's more awake and talking better for sure. His mouth seems to be better too. Now we're just waiting for some white cells to show up, it looks like they're starting to come back. He's been running a low temp on and off still, but not real high like the oher night. We are still in PICU and still on the epidural. We heard that they are not planning to start the actual radiation treatment until Monday, which is discouraging. Blood pressure has still been an issue so they are still juggling meds. All in all, though, this feels like progress! He's been playing with his power tools in his bed, and it's a great sight to see!
Thank you all for the many prayers said on our behalf, we are thankful!

Mostly Braeden just watched Peter Pan and Sponge Bob while we were there. He had just had a bunch of bandages messed with and the frown on his forehead let us know right away he wasn't very happy right then so didn't say much. He made sure no one touched his big toe that had that doodad that measures the oxygen in the system. His little "big" toe looked like a Christmas tree light, so red. Two hours later we decided to leave and he insisted of giving Grandpa and I several "high 5s" and shook our hands several times. His hand looked so tiny in Grandpa's big old work swollen hand.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:37:26 AM by Esther »

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: In case you haven't heard me yammering about Braeden lately----
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:44:33 PM »
Any improvement is welcome.  @O@
Reduction in pain levels is an improvement.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
Yes, all in all, progress, that's what counts, little steps, little victories.  O0
One little battle at a time.  :worship:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »
They said he had 11 sets of blinking, dripping, beeping, boxes with attached tubes running into his body last weekend. Today there were three.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 05:38:29 AM »
Miracles happen,,,,and Braedon IS a miracle o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Thanks for the update Esther.  I had been wondering about Braeden, but to be honest, was afraid to ask.

:hug:

Karen

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
Thank you for the update Esther . Was wondering how the little guy
was doing .

bonnie

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
One day at a time.  More prayers for such a sweet little boy.   o(:-)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: New update yammering about Braeden
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 02:28:31 PM »
I know Karen. At times when Kevin calls, he kinda hesitates after he says, "Hi mom." I always take a conscious breath and hold it until he starts talking and it isn't bad news.

Here is the Care Pages today with lots of good news. Or should I say several different small good newses.

Is it really New Year's Eve already? Hard to believe!

Braeden is doing pretty well again today. I think the blood pressure patch on his back is starting to kick in, because he has been much more drowsy today. It could also be that he was chatting with the nurses quite frequently through the night. Either way, the drowsiness caught up with him and he's dozing now, but earlier he was up in bed playing with his Go Diego Go Dinosaur Rescue Mountain that Nana brought him for Christmas. It was nice to see him playing. Between his tools and Diego, he should be able to have plenty of fun even in bed. He starts radiation today, he has treatment today and Friday scheduled. We are hoping it will work quickly and his blood pressure will be under better control and his pain will be relieved without the use of IV or epidural drugs. His hair is almost gone now, but I think that bothers mom and dad more than him. His counts are FINALLY starting to come back, white cells are starting to make an appearance. All in all, our team seems really pleased with the progress he has made, and we are too. He's a different kid than he was a week ago, praise God.

We have much to be thankful for. I am reminded that as hard as it is to be in the hospital during the holidays, we know so many who are spending these holidays missing their precious children. Please keep them in your prayers.

Happy 2009, everyone, may God bless you all!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 06:19:17 PM »
Thanks Esther, the last care page sounded so upbeat, it is great to here as we just lost a good friend to brain cancer on Christmas, I'm glad your family is seeing some improvement no matter how slow.....as Joyce says "one little battle at a time"  won, those are sweet victories.  Prayers continue every night for Braeden
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
I really have nothing to say except that we are here if you need anything. Prayers to the little darling, we hope for continued success.

Who cares about hair? It's overrated.  ;)

What a brave little boy. We could all learn a lot from Braeden.  o(:-)

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 08:34:55 PM »
His mom and dad are showing much fortitude also. I'm amazed at their strength and faith.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
Wishing Braeden a Healthy and Happiest New Year EVER!!!  @O@
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
 :hug:

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
Our prayers continue to be for Braeden and your family, Esther. Sounds like things are making a turn-a-round, even if slowly.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
Esther: I REALLY hope you keep-up your "yammerings" about Big B.  O0  I don't post much, but I watch every thread about the little guy.  Everytime I open one, I find myself thinking:  "...c'mon Braeden... gimme some good news... hang in there... kick the teeth outta this thing... show 'em what you've got and make those doctors shake their heads in awestruck disbelief".

Thanks for the update!  We're ALL pulling for him. :)

Roark

You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
OK, you asked for it. LOL.

Here's today's:
Blessings to you all for 2009!

Braeden continues to improve. His counts are finally starting to improve. He didn't need any blood or platelets today for the first time in about a week. His white cells are starting to come back and his mouth seems to have healed. He has been off the IV blood pressure medicine since yesterday (he still has a patch on for BP) and so far, so good. Today they turned down his epidural a bit and he still has been very comfortable. He took a nap this afternoon but since then has been awake and much perkier. He had radiation yesterday and it went fine. He will go for radiation again tomorrow morning, and then most likely be off until Monday. Please pray for no side effects from the radiation, we are especially worried about his remaining kidney. Damage to it from the radiation would not be a good thing. Also, we are still dealing with tummy issues and occasional throwing up. Right now the plan is for Kev to stay at the hospital tomorrow night and me to go home. For those of you who know me, that's a big step!

As we begin a new year I am reminded of how blessed we have been this past year. We have wonderful family, friends, and church who have laughed and cried with us, fed us, cared for us and prayed for us along this road. We would be lost without you, and we praise God for you always. May He richly bless you in this new year.

And I want to add my thanks to this forum for the many encouraging comments, prayers, good wishes, gifts and cards that have been sent our way. You will never know how often I have taken solace from knowing you are all supporting us one way or another.  At times I hesitate to again mention what is happening in Bub's life as it must feel like this is going on forever because it certainly feels that way for us. Also I realize that so often it is hard to find something to say in response to my threads about him. But please know that I treasure your support and words even if they are few or repetitive.

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: 1-1-09 yammering update about Braeden
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:16:55 PM »
Esther - as a person who grew up with a ill, and handicapped sibling, I would like to thank you, and bless you, for caring for and loving Braeden's brothers and sister.  You'll never know how much the time you're spending with them now, when they're scared and missing their Mom and Dad, means to them!  Thank you, bless you and prayers for Braeden and his family!
Tammie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »
Today, I was telling Eliana that her mommy and daddy were going to trade the night watch with Braeden and mommy would be going home for the night and then taking them to church while daddy stayed at the hospital. Eliana looked at me with the saddest face and said, "I miss my mom so much." So what did I do but promptly burst into tears. Probably scared the poor kid half to death.

OK I have missed out on this so should say that the reason Braeden is so low right now is partly from that last round of Chemo. It really knocked the sox off him and his immune system is scraping bottom. Tomorrow they are moving him out of PICU down to the regular floor because they want to get the kids off that floor who have immune problems. Evidently they had a couple of patients admitted today with terribly contagious stuff and they don't dare risk having them on the same floor even. But Braeden's counts continue to improve and he is playing nicely sitting on the bed. They are also adjusting the pain meds and trying to get the epidural meds weaned away. Sounds like a difficult path to take. 

My grown nephew works at that hospital. HE has to do with moving patients when there are redecoration, remodeling, changes made and building going on. Well, they discovered a leak had been going on for a while from the roof on the 9th floor, running inside the walls and of course in the walls of the 7th floor where the children's cancer etc area is. So then they realize this may have been going on a while and afraid for the mold that may have grown in those walls. So they have to vacate that area and tear it all apart. What a mess! So I suspect Jeff will have his hands full. It wasn't long ago that the hospital rescue helicopter was doing some practice takeoffs and landings and the tail must have bumped something on the roof and crashed up there on the roof of the 9th floor above the children's cancer ward on 7. Wonder if the leak came from that.

Braeden's PICU room was right under the approach lane of the helicopter. When one was going to land, it looked like it was flying right up to the big windows of his room. Really cool at night he thinks.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »
I missed realizing and didn't say that most of this current illness problem was caused by the fact the tumor had grown so much and then when Chemo was done, it knocked him for a loop and his immune system is 0 again.

He's out of the intensive care unit as of yesterday. Miracle upon miracle!! His mommy actually agreed to go home last night and let Kevin stay with him. I talked to Ian last night on the internet and said I hope she was relaxing. Nope, cleaning. Just like a woman whose home has been in the care of her husband for three weeks!!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:41:46 AM by Esther »

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
Re: 1-4-09 yammering Braeden update scroll down
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 05:20:59 AM »
How on EARTH did I miss this post? 

He's OUT!!!  Somebody spread the word!

Esther, you made my day!!!  Go Big B!!!!!!!!!   O0

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »
Good news indeed!  Hope he's more comfortable in his new room.

Eliana looked at me with the saddest face and said, "I miss my mom so much." So what did I do but promptly burst into tears. Probably scared the poor kid half to death.
Maybe it scared her but quite possibly it let her know that it's okay to be sad and especially that it's not a selfish thing for a little girl to miss her mom.

emm

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »
I am so happy to hear he's out of intensive care, that's great news!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"