Author Topic: Be a donor  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Be a donor
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:25:56 AM »
Guess I didn't realize how often someone might need a transfusion. Braeden has had at least 25 transfusions during the last year and a half. It brought to my attention how important it is to donate blood, no matter what type you have.

About three years ago I saw a mobile blood bus and stopped to see how it worked. It worked fine once you get past the questionaire. They are extremely picky about the health of the person giving the donation obviously.

If you have ever had blood drawn, then this is a snap. After it's over, you will be offered a snack and/or something to drink and given instructions about what to do or not to do after giving blood. I have never felt any ill effects afterwards.

This is to remind you of the importance of a contribution that won't cost you anything, just an hour of your time.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Be a donor
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
I'm not allowed to donate cuz of chemo/radiation/cancer.  :(  >:(  ::)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:58:29 AM »
They come to where I work, at intervals. Makes it easy, and the snacks are great O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »
Last time I did my blood was rejected. I either had or was exposed to Mono.  Never had Mono.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
They come to where I work, at intervals. Makes it easy, and the snacks are great O0

Steve
we used to get donuts and juice, and they gave us t-shirts!  One year they bloodmobile came on my b-day so I donated and got 2 shirts from them as a b-day present.

I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:55:53 AM »
I use to give blood regularly even with low blood pressure.  During the past few years (kids are all grown up now!  @O@  ) we have begun traveling out of the country and cannot donate blood because of possible diseases reported in those counties.  We must wait 12 months after traveling before donating.  Sadly we are gone again before the 12 months are up.

I encourage anyone who can to donate blood among other things!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 07:19:11 PM »
Yah, I've been turned down three times, once because not enough time had passed since having a tooth pulled, once because my blood pressure was too high (turned out I needed my meds changed), and one time I had an infected hangnail. Really!!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »
I have been donateing on a regular basis since I was old enough.....my Mom got me started as my new baby brother was rh factor and needed a complete transfussion.   I've also been turned away because of not enough time after being ill.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"