Author Topic: Winter Scare  (Read 766 times)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Winter Scare
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:27 AM »
We had a really nice day in the midwest yesterday, got into the 60's and the ponds all thawed out. I enjoyed the day working in the yard and doing a water change on a heated tank I have outside. While I was out there I checked the koi pond and had a fish belly up, got the net and it weakly swam off and the DH tells me this fish was having problems the other day. It was one of my favorite showas and he did not look good at all.  We caught him and filled a blue bowl with the cold pond water and brought him inside to slowly warm up the water, added a airstone to the bowl he stayed belly up thru most of the evening while I stayed busy doing water changes indoors and laundry so I could keep an eye on him. I finally but some cold clean water in the blue bowl and floated it in the QT tank with the airstone and he seemed to stay upright better. Scared me when the temps were equal and I spilled him into the QT tank he went belly up again for a bit. So far he seems good for today so I am keeping fingers crossed. And the temps outside have dropped again, it is only 24 degs out there now so very glad he is indoors in the heated QT.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Scare
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
That would scare me as well.  What a beautiful showa.  I can see why you take such good care of him/her.  Hope your showa recovers quickly.   
Alfonso

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
Oh that really is a scare. Looks like he's got some red streaks in his pecs. I hope he gets better.
Does this mean that you'll have to house him inside for the rest of the winter?

I really dislike when stuff like this happens. Kevin and I were JUST talking about how we hate the weather here.
We want to live someplace warm, someplace where we can have a permanent koi pond. One that stays warm. .
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
Sounds like a reason to move to Florida. O0
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"