Author Topic: Why are PetSmart koi TALL?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Why are PetSmart koi TALL?
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »
Koi in tanks at places like PetSmart seem to be tall and triangular in shape.

But koi in ponds are long and lean.

I'm wondering what it is that makes aquarium koi a different shape from the ones in "natural" conditions. 

Also, will a PetSmart fish change shape and become enlongated, once he's in a pond setting?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Why are PetSmart koi TALL?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
I've heard that PetsMart fish are worse than Wal-Mart fish. So I don't buy them. Of course, I buy my koi from Gainesville Koi Club. One of their members sells his cull cheap and I'm not looking for show quality. As long as they are purty, that's all that matters to me. I got some free one time but they didn't quite look right. Then I figured out why. They were underfed. They were just starting to fatten up nicely by the end of the season.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »
Some of it may be genetics, and the other is that you are viewing from the front/side of the fish, in the pond you are viewing from the top.  If you were to pull your pond fish you may be surprised that they have more hieght to their bodies then it appears.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
Hummmmmm I been told that growing in a tank makes them look differant, but they soon change whe they are pot into a pond. We shall see I have two in a 100 gal. tank out  in the greenhouse.  :-\ keep a watch when I pond the in the spring. Mt avatar is one of them.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
That's a good shot, Pondlady.  I would say that the one I got from PetSmart is similar to the top photo, but perhaps a bit taller / more triangular.  In your second photo, the fish seems to be longer, and not so tall.

In the pond, viewed from above, he still looks "taller" than the other fish, who have been in the pond for years.  I've had him two or three weeks, so we'll see how he looks by winter's end.

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
These two came from pet smart about 8 years ago they are very large now 29 and 27 inches. Very sweet girls.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"