Author Topic: OMG! They are already spawning.  (Read 964 times)

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
OMG! They are already spawning.
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »
I got my new pump set up in a tank for my valentine's days Jikins and was going to put some water hy. in case they got frisky. I pulled a couple of plants out of the wakins tank & looking at the well nippled roots noticed they were covered in eggs. I was very surprised, yesterday the water temps were almost 50 indoors and with a heater it was so cold next to the outside garage door. But the slight warm up must have set them off. There are eggs everywhere, on the heater, the sides, netting just everywhere. And some very tired females.
I don't have any plants left for the jikins. :o  Omg, this is just feb.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: OMG! They are already spawning.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »
Sounds like they heard it was Valentines, LOL.  Make yourself some yarn bobbers to catch the eggs & the bobbers are so easy to move around to where you want to put them.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »
My females are pretty fat now, too.  They usually don't spawn until March, but it's been fairly warm here, and this week it's in the 70*'s.

I intend to drain and clean the pond Friday, and the change of water has always sparked a spawn, so we'll see if I have eggs by Saturday.

I put a spawning mat in the pond just in case.

I really don't want to dick around with babies this year.  It was fun last year, my first time, but such a hassle.  Took up so much space in my tiny yard for the mini pond, took forever for the babies to grow large enough to give away, and then I could hardly find any takers for them.  But, I just can't think of having eggs and babies and not at least TRY to save a few.  After all, they ARE Mother Nature's creatures.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:46:01 AM »
Tracey, can't wait to see more fish pics from you.  The ones we got from you are doing OK so far.   O0  I did have 1 casualty (a goldfish) yesterday.  I hope other fish are OK.  If not, DH and I may be up your way this summer to pick up more fish.   :)

Kuan

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »
Tracey, can't wait to see more fish pics from you.  The ones we got from you are doing OK so far.   O0  I did have 1 casualty (a goldfish) yesterday.  I hope other fish are OK.  If not, DH and I may be up your way this summer to pick up more fish.   :)

Kuan
Sorry about your goldie loss & you and your family are welcome by anytime you come this way.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"