Author Topic: No No No, no more winds, ice etc  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
No No No, no more winds, ice etc
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
They are calling for storms tomorrow with high winds.  With the past ike wind storm, then the ice storm.  They fear many weakened trees and telephone poles won't be able to with stand it.  They said most likely alot of people will be without power AGIAN!  Its getting a little old. 

Sure wish my taxes would come in, I want a generator.  Stomping my feet.

Kim
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:11:28 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: No No No, no more winds, ice etc
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »
I always do my taxes as soon as I get my W2, and use TurboTax for it.  This year my W2 came about the middle of the month, so I was able to e-file before the last week.  My federal return was deposited about 8 days later...my state...well, Cali-forclose-ia is in debt so that won't be for a while! :'(
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
Strong wind is bad enough to deal with.  Let's pray those trees and poles stay put!

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
All the years of living in this area and everyones talking about a generator because of those two storms. Man they wreaked havoc on the area as it did yours I am sure. I wish I could have a generator too.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
The ground is just saturated. We don't have any big trees anymore, thunderstorms took care of that a few years ago.  But there is a huge tree in the yard behind us.  I know it would take out our privacy fence and pool, easily replaced.  But my fear is it would also take out my pond.  You know how you see a big tall tree, and can't judge just how tall or big it is until its on the ground.

Went out a little bit ago and got batteries, we filled some milk jugs up with water.  Doing up laundry tonight, all just in case.  Gonna start being a little more prepared.  I put the batteries in the candle box inside the closet and dared the kids to touch them.  See, if you sneeze too hard on our street the power goes out anyway.  Just not days at a time.  So, I keep candles and a lighter in a big box in my living room closet.  Makes it easy to find them in the dark.

We filed our taxes on Jan 31, had to wait to get my his W2, had my 2 W2's.  Got the state back within 3 days, it will be awhile for federal I'm sure.  I'm with you Blind 'Too.
Kim 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:28:15 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
Yes Kim, I don't like living on the edge either.  I always fill up water jugs for brushing teeth, washing faces, etc. since living in the country if you don't have power, you don't have water either.  Then I nag DH to go up and get the generator going...sure am lucky we have cattle in the barn that get thirsty--that's more of an incentive than me lol 

They are calling for 65 mph gusts  >:(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
Well we lost power this afternoon.  First time was for about an hour.  It was back on before I got home from work.  Then we lost it again for about 3 hours.  Hubby called the electric co. and they said sir, the power has been restored in that area.  He said, yes ma'am but its out again.  She said are you sure it didn't just kick your breaker.  He said, I'm possitve its not just my house.  I'm trying to stand in the driveway now, and I promise you the whole entire area is out including Dixie Highway.  Geeez, didn't want to believe him that our power was out.  DUH!

It went off for a brief moment at the Credit Union today too, no biggy.  Just enough to knock our computers off and had to wait for them to come back up.  Nothing like being in the middle of buying 6000.00 dollars from a computer vault (like a giant ATM) and you get part of it, (3000.00 in hundreds) and not the rest.  I walked out of the room and said....I didn't do it, and I didn't get all my money with it up in the air.  Geeez,with it not spitting out the other 3000.00...lol.  Of course they could tell if they counted the vault down that I didn't get my money it would be over, but still leaves ya a funny feeling thinking about that.  Also, when I first went into the vault room we weren't having the huge gust at the time.  This roar sound came around the building.  It sounded like a 747 just landed in the field behind the branch.  Wild!

Also, the winds were strong enough, that it kept blowing our big heavy double glass doors open.  Our branch manager finally locked the one side and stood at the door and would open it for people, and when it closed she would keep ahold of it until someone was ready to leave or come in.  Crazy.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 08:13:50 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
The wind has to be blowing over 50 mph with gusts of well, who KNOWS what!   >:(  Sorry, I am SICK of wind, and more wind and snow and ice!  My whole upstairs is rocking.  I just hate this helpless feeling of waiting for something to happen... :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
I'm with ya....we just stood in my neighbors garage and watched the trees.  Downtown Louisville, had several telephone poles snapped off all in a roll.  Lots of people without power again 40,000 or so.  Nothing like 400,000 when Ike winds came through or 250,000 with the ice storm.

The few things I truly missed with the power off is.....

The fridge not running.

No computer.

And, when it was zero outside, and wanting to take a shower (no big deal there, gas water heater) but not being able to dry your hair afterwards....that bites.  I have thick hair, even on a hot day it could take a couple hours for it to dry all the way through...petty isn't it when I want my hair dryer...

Kim

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 05:01:10 AM »
Yes, but I understand that totally.  I'm in the same boat-lots of thick, long hair:  so it goes up in a pony tail, or a twist or something.  But after a while not being in your regular routine BITES!  Hope you didn't lose power in the night!
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"