Author Topic: ~For all you BARREL filter freaks- check out this install and waterfall ! (pics)  (Read 1434 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx

Okay.... so one of my favorite pond clients comes to me for the new 09'... and asks me what we could do to improve his pond.  Immediatly, as before... I mention that the pond is grossly under filtered.   All he had was a small 20gal bowl in the upper falls area with 3 small pads in there.
Within several days they were CAKED SOLID with particulate.
He has 8 large 15inch koi,.. and lots of plants in his 500gal pond.
Fish seem to be okay... but wow... is there alot of particulate at the bottom of the pond and caught in the stream.

I mentioned that if we introduced some barrel action, it would increase time between cleanings.

so.... Jason and I got to work on installing  the 2 barrels at the very top of the waterfall area.

Here is how we put them together.....

After creating a elevated solid, level platform of cinderblock/mortar and rebar.... we placed the barrels in position and began with a 2inch pvc pipe that comes into the 1st barrel.
I used a 2inch uniseal to make a watertight seal as the pvc comes into the first barrel about 1/3 up from the bottom of the barrel. I like to leave some room for settling of particulate at bottom of barrel,.. that's why I don't come in at the very bottom.

I put a 90degree joint on the pipe on the inside of the barrel so it "swirls the water as it fills up the barrel.
(THIS TYPE OF FILTER IS CALLED A UPFLOW.  BECAUSE THE WATER UPFLOWS THOUGH THE FILTER MEDIA AND THEN OUT THE TOP OF THE FILTER UNIT)

Next,....
I cut a hole for 4inch pvc to penetrate both barrels.  I'm joining them together or daisy chaining them.
I used 4inch uniseals here as well.
I then took a 90degree 4inch pvc elbow and a touch more pvc pipe to take the water from the first barrel down to the near bottom of the 2nd.  The water will then upflow through that barrel and out another 4inch pvc pipe to start the waterfall !

I used 4 FLOOR SCRUBBER pads in the first barrel (23inches in diameter)
I used 1 spool of BIO RIBBON in the 2nd barrel. ( I used plastic light diffuser grid to keep it from wanting to float up and out the main pipe to waterfall. )

Here is how it looks  :

Here is the entire stream :

Some pics of the new higher main spill from the filters :

1.5 pallate of moss rock to "encapsulate" and hide the 2 55 gal drums from the side and back : THAT WALL IS A TOUCH OVER 5 FOOT HIGH !!! WOW !
( and of coarse-- making sure to create elevated planting beds.. so that all this rock will be softened as charlie plants in bushes and plants )

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
  Forgot to mention that both barrels have a 2" drain for ease of cleaning.  They come together as one pipe that then is trenched and pops out in one of his flower beds. A 2"ball valve hidden within a moss rock covey and top to prevent UV destruction of the red TURN handle is parammont.  I've seen way to many of them snap and break with time and sun.  I opted ball valve vrs. gate valve.. for fear of dribble leaks years down the road.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
You're absolutely fabulous, Carlos!  Thank you for sharing your filter set up and the wonderful design.  Your clients are mucho lucky!!  Love the huge waterfall and all its levels.

• Members
    • View Profile
thanks !  I have some clients that are on a tight budget.. .and when you price out the manufactured BIO FALLS ... WHOA !  Most of the sizes I need are $300-450bucks just for molded plastic ?!?!!? yikes !
I can get the same volume little tweaks here and there for  : $105.00 !  doing it the barrel filter way.
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Everytime you post, I have to see what I can learn.  Where do you get those uniseals?  I remember you mentioned it on another thread, but I can't find it.  Great job, as always. O0
Alfonso

• Members
    • View Profile
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Aren't uniseals the greatest?

Did you have any problems with using the 4" in the barrels, C ?   I've read where others say that 4" are sometimes hard get a good fit using barrels.

• Members
    • View Profile
BONNIE ----  I use 4inch all the time because I often use BIG pumps that need more diameter on the outflow pipes because of coarse this is all about gravity feed not INLINE PRESSURE flow.

---- there is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO other choice when dealing with 4inch - BEVEL THE EDGE FIRST !  I take a dremel with a hard sander bit and bevel the edge back to about a inch from the edges lip.

[img width= height=]http://www.cordless-drills.net/stock/Dremel-7700.gif[/img]

Make sure you take a rag and get as much pvc dust off the pipe.

Wear a dust mask and when you coat your arms with a layer of pvc dust,.. don't try and just brush it off with your other hand.. it hurts and does not come off well.  Go to the water faucet and spray it off,.. comes off lickity-split ;)

Now that your clean and the PIPE is clean,.... then lub it down with - baby shampoo, dawn dish soap, ky,...etc.... Just anything that is not toxic, and not oil based that could possible hurt the uniseals.    People might FREAK about the soap or shampoo lube,.. but a little WILL NOT FOAM up in the barrels or hurt the fish.  I've never noticed anything when using it.  Wipe away excess... and your ready to go !!!

[/b]
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"