Author Topic: So I look out my window and say,....  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So I look out my window and say,....
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »
"Well that's not a good sign...."  A black & white blocking traffic usually means the neighbor behind me has been up to no good and some sort of tactical operation is about to occur....

So I change positions and look out another window...  Yep, the idiot behind me is definitely up to no good.

We and several other neighbors were then evacuated out of our homes for about 3 hours as more tactical members and equipment came in.  My neighbor has a daughter who has a poor choice in men......  Seems the boyfriend, a parolee, had a felony warrant and he was refusing to give up.   I assume SWAT served the warrant due to a known history of criminal activity and violence.  And it used to be such a quiet neighborhood.....

Darn, I missed O'Reilly
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:28:20 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So I look out my window and say,....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
I can see why you would say that. Jeez

Hey Mikey, I have noticed over the years that when people post pics from California, everyone, it seems, has these big concrete block walls around their yard..

Why is that?

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »
I read somewhere California is trying to release 58,000 prisoners.  It's supposed to lighten the budget.  :doh:  Soooo, why not leave that neighbor's boyfriend alone?
Alfonso

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
Mikey,

I just used the link to your 2005 pictures of your yard and I think I'm in love  o(:-).  You have a fabulous yard that I know takes tons of effort to maintain.  How big is your yard?

Casey

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:14:21 PM »
EagleEye I believe those block-concrete walls are just like in mexico to protect more your home.

Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »
Steve: Most homes here are walled or fenced.  It may be because the yards are small and a strong fence makes for good neighbors.....  It also may be because we don't have large lots separated by lots of trees for privacy. 

Alfonso: Good point  :D

Casey: Thanks.  Our yard is small, less that 100' deep or wide.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »
I do notice that in the east they don't have fences like we do.  Why?  No idea.

Casey, it's only 57,000 ! @O@
Our leaders are morons
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »
Hope this doesn't happen to often :o,  that kind of excitement around hear would be the hot news topic for weeks, and still be talked about over neighborhood gatherings for years.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:57 AM »
Wow, never a dull moment in Cali! I heard that first time home buyership there is up 85% True?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:31:09 AM »
Oh my gosh, that would scare the bejeebers out of me. 
I'm glad I live in a rural area, my heart couldn't take that.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
At first I thought this was going to be a joke.  Not so lucky - Man, I can't believe that happened right next door!  I have to say, though, the cops are really on the ball.

Lots of homes in England have small gardens, surrounded by stone walls.  I like the idea.  Very private.  And if you cover the walls with foliage or vines, it really softens the look.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:08:53 PM »
Hope this doesn't happen to often :o,  that kind of excitement around hear would be the hot news topic for weeks, and still be talked about over neighborhood gatherings for years.

Yup , same here  ;D

bonnie

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »
Oddly enough, the best neighbor I ever had was a drug dealer who was home 99% of the time.  I don't condone it, but I have had to learn a long time ago that I'm not anyone else's conscience and people will do what they do with or without my consent.  So why was this guy the best neighbor?  He respected me because I was honest with him right up front.  I said, "what you do is your business - as long as it doesn't interfere with my life or home, I have no qualms."  He became a 24 hour watchdog...if someone walked up to my car at night, he was the first one out there asking what their business was.  If I asked him to put off spray painting a car for a couple hours while I barbecued, he obliged.  After I initially told him I wasn't into drugs, the subject never came up after that.  He wasn't really into drugs on a major scale (it was a bit of a crappy neighborhood and mostly low rent stuff as far as I could tell), and I had just moved in so there wasn't a whole lot I could do anyway.  But he respected me for my honesty and told me he would keep it on his side of the fence.

Now when they busted a meth lab a few doors down from us, and the street was blocked off for hours.....that's when I decided to move!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
Southern Arizona yards are also enclosed in block walls.  Keeps out a lot of creepy crawly thingys -- animal, reptile, and human.
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »
The newspaper carried an article on the incident and said the boyfriend was a parolee and the police went there to serve a warrant for drug sales whereupon he ran back into the house and refused to come out.  The daughter that lives there with mom told police he was not in the house.  Mom works for Boeing and was at work when the incident occurred.  My guess is that mom threatened to throw her daughter and grand kids out if he didn't turn himself in.  The newspaper said he was hiding up in the attic. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
 :o :o :o
Cheese Louise!!!!  With a sight like that outside my window I would have hit the deck before panicking! 

We only have fenced walls in our yard.  Concrete blocks are more expensive and in my opinion preferable.  I grew up on the east coast with no barriers of any kind between properties.  We knew our neighbors then.  Although we know our neighbors here we like the privacy and avoid wants and unwanteds. 

Times have changed.... :(  :P

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 08:48:53 AM »
We have attics in CA?

Any pressure that could be put on the mother? I figured all your neighbours would already have tried to have her kick her daughter out if she won't stop her boyfriends visiting - but man, once one is evacuated from one's own home, then 'what you do on your own property is none of my business' stops right there. Anything like having her home listed as a nuisance, and the police bill her for each call they get etc?

From the lesson of Al Capone - if law enforcement, enmeshed by legalities, cannot stop them, hit them in the pocketbook to get their attention.

Anyway, next time you have one of these parties, invite us down for front row seats. A bit of catering, and we could probably sell tickets . . . . .

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »
I'll have to check with the city to see if they are pursuing a public nuisance action against her since there have been several serious incidents at that house.  This is the same house that I wrote about here: http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=7284.0  I'm surprised her daughters haven't all moved out considering that the police keep a close watch on the house and constantly jack up friends who visit them. 

She used to have two daughters living there with kids from different fathers.  The worst daughter took her delinquent kids and moved to Bakersfield after death threats from her boyfriend's brother.   If this continues I'm considering canceling our Dish subscription and rearranging the furniture so we will have a better view..... ;D 

Fortunately these people live behind us and there is a paved alley way separating us so that we don't see what's going on there..... unless the police are walking past our front and side windows to get to their house...... ::)

Offline DavB

• Members
  • With us since: 26/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
Man!  I come here to lurk and escape the pressure and hassle of the real world, only to find this thread!
 {-) >:(

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »
My father is retired from law enforcement. It appears as though your SWAT is armed to bear. (if thats the right saying). I remember that bank heist years ago and knew that they were being supplied better armorment. It is awesome to see a real life picture or real life situations as the ones you have shown. You see cops on tv all the time but looking at your pictures you know that this is the real deal and they never know what hte end result of a call will be. I hope all is settled in your area and all returns to normal as soon as it can.

Mikey maybe you could do what I think the neighbors behind me did last night.

I woke at 2 am to my wife yelling the house was on fire!!!!  She then told me as I was running about that it was the house directly behind us. The house burned to the ground. The neighbors had not been living there for maybe 3 months. They just came and got the rest of their stuff 3 days ago. They are defaulting on the loan. Craazy how a fire starts with noone in the house at 2 am. I actually inquired about taking over the payments from them for my daughter. She said she was going to make the payments and move back in if it didn't work out with her boyfriend she had moved in with in another city. These are the same people that bypassed the water meter for 8 months only to move out 3 weeks after they got caught. They stored their garbage in a truck and on a caged trampoline so they wouldn't be suspected of having service. I did not have the forethought to take pictures of the giant flame but will throw some up of the ashes.

We have all kinds here in America. We do not need all these kinds but we sure do have them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"