Author Topic: What are pinhead size light brown hopping bugs on lily pads  (Read 864 times)

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What are pinhead size light brown hopping bugs on lily pads
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
In the kiddie pool where I am overwintering my tropicals (all mature plants) there are lots of tiny beige hopping bugs on the water and on the lily pads.  There are none on the pads of my starter lilies in the pool just adjacent.  Both have heated and aerated.  Both get about the same amount of sun.  The one with the bugs is covered every night with another pool upside down on it so there is about a foot of airspace when it is covered.  The other is covered with a sheet of styrofoam which sits right on top of the water, or within an inch of the top anyway.

The way they hop made me think at first that they were seeds jumping on the water surface from static electricity but now I see they aren't.  They are very small, just a light brown speck.

Does anyone know what these bugs are?  How can I get rid of them?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What are pinhead size light brown hopping bugs on lily pads
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »
I have them too.  Don't know what they are but they seem harmless.  It's fun to watch them sometimes when I relax by the pond.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »
If you've got any product with BT in it, use on your pond with bugs.  I had them in
aquariums where I overwinter tropicals, and had good kill using it.  They sound like
aphids to me, and yes, they will eat all your leaves. Get rid of them.  If there are
fish in there, the BT won't harm them. What I found here to use was granular
mosquito kill that I had bought at Walmart.

Marie

Offline casey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/12/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »
I didn't know aphids were so little or that they hopped so much.  The ones I know are bigger and secrete a sticky stuff & stick to the leaves and the stalks of the plants on which they are sucking?  Obviously I don't know all the types of aphids.  thanks.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"