Author Topic: Spring cleaning  (Read 1294 times)

Offline allanl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spring cleaning
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
I am going through my first winter in NJ with my 2000 gal Koi pond containing 17  6-8" Koi. I have a floating heater and all appears well. I would like to do a power wash cleaning on the outside rocks and waterfall in the spring. How long should I let the Koi come out of their sleep? I don't want to stress them, should they resume eating around 55 degrees? Any suggestions would be welcome. I also have snails and frogs.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
I too wanted to know this. I wish I could help. Hang in there maybe someone will wake from their winter slumber and be able to answer your question.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
I'm all about the good bacteria in the water and your bio-filter in my ponds.  Use only dechlorinated water to rinse anything in your pond.  Chlorine will kill any good bacteria.  These good bacterias are awaken in warm temps (not sure of the temp). 

In my ponds, a ten year old 550 gal one and a new 1100+ gal one since last summer, they have been healthy and I never change water, and I only just add filtered water or small amounts of timed sprinkler water.

Personally I wouldn't do anything until the temps are higher for longer periods of time.  But to me cold is 60* or less.  Remember this is my opinion and I do live in Southern California where the fish in my pond are constantly begging for food.  ;D

Offline pondlady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Live,Love,Laugh,Life is to short not to.
  • With us since: 12/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:13:22 AM »
I would wait for warmer temp as you fish are already stresses from winter. If to much stress they will start to tip over and die. I just pulled the covers and I had 2 goldies do just that. I saved one by putting it in the greenhouse than in warmer water, was a close call. When they are very active and acting like they might want some food then you might try some cleaning.
I thought that I was wrong once,But I was mistaken. hehehehehe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"