Author Topic: Fishlipsmcgee  (Read 822 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fishlipsmcgee
« on: March 08, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »
Just thought I'd mention that my stepson and his wife rescued a greyhound a couple of summers ago. He is a wonderful dog and they love him much. They said he evidently didn't care to race and would have been put down had he not been rescued by the organization. It is so cute because he's so big but wants to be in their laps like a little dog. They have 4 cats too and he has learned how to cope with them. Ken has taught him tricks and interacts a lot with Skip. It has been fun watching Ken teach Skip how to be a dog. They wish he would bark to go out or come in and so Ken asks him if he wants to go out. Skip will wag his tail so then Ken tells him to bark and he will bark. But he doesn't do it on his own. LOL. I think Skip is grateful to them for giving him a good home.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fishlipsmcgee
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:52 AM »
How wonderful!  It sounds like Skip is one lucky greyhound and found a wonderful home and I'm sure he is grateful.  Rescued dogs seem to know somehow.  I've heard a lot of people say that about their rescues.  Greyhounds are not really barkers.  Jenny doesn't bark to go out either but somehow she gets her message across.  She does bark however if I am late with her meals.  ;D  My previous dog, a black lab mix didn't bark to go out either.  She would hit her paw on the door wall and "knock" to go out or come back in.

Yes, they are wonderful dogs!  Amazing, considering their horrific life before adoption.  Here are a couple brief articles from the Humane Society about greyhound racing.  There are not any disturbing pictures so one one has to be afraid to look.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/running_for_their_lives_the_realities_of_greyhound_racing/

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/running_for_their_lives_the_realities_of_greyhound_racing/greyhound_racing_facts.html

People think they are really active dogs or have to run a lot which is not true.  They don't require anymore exercise than any other dogs and actually make great dogs for apartments or condos because they are so quite.  The nickname "45 MPH couch potatoes" is not by accident.  They tend to sleep A LOT

Here are a couple pictures demonstrating this.  The black greyhound is Molly.  We hound sit for her quite often.  Also is my attempt to get Jenny to help with yard work.  I caught her sleeping on the job   ::)

PS How is Smokey?
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Fishlipsmcgee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:10 PM »
 O0 Loved the pictures. LOL. Looks familiar.

Smokey is fine. He needs a haircut terribly as I have been putting off some of the unnecessary expenses. First I have to get his shots and checkup so I can get his license and then the haircut. Poor puppy, his mommy doesn't love him.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"