Author Topic: Mother Nature does not understand that this is SPRING!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Mother Nature does not understand that this is SPRING!
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:13 AM »
Hello my fellow ponders, cleaned the pond since weather was nice last weekend (high 70s).  Pond water temp was in the high 50s to low 60s.  Pond water is crystal clear and fishies were swimming around nicely.  Hooray!   @O@  Well, mother nature sure doesn't understand that this means she needs to keep the nice warm weather coming.  Forecast said we are expecting 8" of snow by Saturday night with blizzard condition.   {nono}  I'm not a happy camper to say the least.  My waterfall is running and the bubbler has been cleaned and packed away for next Fall/Winter.  So I need suggestions from my fellow ponders since this is my first winter with a pond.  The million $$ question is, do I turn off the waterfall or leave it on?  My guts tell me that I should just leave it on so the fish can have some added oxygen plus I think the snow will provide some sort of "cover" for the fish/pond.  Temp will rise into the low 40s on Sunday/Monday so the freezing temp is not going to be long.  I will take my UV indoor just in case.

Thank you for your help.  I hope my fishies don't hate me.   lol

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Nature does not understand that this is SPRING!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:37:45 AM »
Give it time.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:03 AM »
I live my waterfall running year around. 

tinkster

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:29:39 AM »
Me too.  I'd just leave it go and wait for warm weather.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
I sure am enjoying these 80°F+ temperatures. :) ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
I knew it was too good to be true. Yes they are saying 8 to 12 inches of snow Saturday. I am so tired of this. I have taken my water hyicents outside and put in a tub with 2 aquarium heaters in it and a window over the top. The water is warm, and my hyicents will not last much longer in the basement so this is their last chance to make it. I have left pumps running all winter on ponds. They are running now. I did loose 1 fish so far but not bad considering how many fish I have. I hardly loose any, knock on wood.

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
Way colder here in southcentral PA than usual.  I still am wearing my winter coat and gloves . . .  &-) :search:
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Zone2

• Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
Well to make you all feel better....I still have 16" of ice on the pond and over 2 feet of snow in my yard and not much for temperatures above 20F and the pond temp is at 38F.  You should all feel a little better about your situations now  O0
2400 Gallon Liner Pond w/ 6 koi and 4 Shubunkins and 30 Goldies
500,000 Gallon Clay Pond with Goldfish
90 Gallon Aquarium with Malawi Cichlids
55 Gallon Aquarium with 2 juvie Koi

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:44:40 AM »
Well, the weatherman is now saying we will be expecting 9" to 15" of snow.   :(  Took the UV down last evening and brought it in this morning (DH left it outside unplugged {nono}).  Checked all the supplies like water, canned food, non-perishable food, flash light, etc.  I'm ready.  I lost power in a clear calm summer before so I expect the power to go out in this snow storm/blizzard condition.   O0  Things are still calm right now but it will change soon.  If school cancel classes, I'll leave work and pick up the kids.  I checked the fish yesterday and they were all hunkering down in the 3 ft deep section.  Here is hoping for the best.  O0

Zone 2, sure hope you get some warmer weather soon.  Your warmer months are so short which makes ponding that much more precious.

Hope everyone else is enjoying the weather.  I know I'll be once this snow storm is over.   8)

Kuan

Offline Zone2

• Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »
UGH, that is some serious snow!  I hope it passes you over with not much problem.  Seems all regions and zones are having a hard winter/spring.  Today there is not a cloud in the sky and it is 42F, warmest day so far, I am going to peel back the pond cover so the fish can see some sunshine and hopefully it will inspire them to hang in there.  I lost my first koi last week, it was one of my smaller ones at 10" but it was still a hard loss to swallow  :'(
2400 Gallon Liner Pond w/ 6 koi and 4 Shubunkins and 30 Goldies
500,000 Gallon Clay Pond with Goldfish
90 Gallon Aquarium with Malawi Cichlids
55 Gallon Aquarium with 2 juvie Koi

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Hi Vickie, Just wondering what you do to keep the hyacinth alive inside during the winter? I suppose they must have some high intensity light and lots of warmth but not sure just how or what to use.
                                                              Janice

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 11:35:27 AM »
spring? not going to happen.  thank goodness i ordered waterlilies from kat. i had a couple that might have survived my horrible mistreatment this year and i put them out in a tank when it was 50-60. now? frozen in ice in the tank with daytime temps at 30, nighttime 20 deg. this so called spring is a no win thing.  waaahhh
andi in minneosta

Offline Master Pond Builder

• Members
  • One of my pond-less waterfalls
  • With us since: 26/06/2008
    • View Profile
    • Pond Plants For Sale
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »
The snow is not going to hurt anything, and like you said it's not supposed to stay cold. Just keep your waterfall running and you should be fine.
I am blessed, that I get to work outside and build beautiful ponds, waterfalls, and streams, everyday.
www.pondplantsforsale.com

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »
We are supose to get snow also, but I have not paid much attention to the amounts but I don't think it will be that much.  Darn I put the nets up last Sun, and if it is going to be the wet heavy stuff they are calling for I will have to take them down tomorrow, I sure don't want them caving in and trapping the fish.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
We are going to have massive snow in the mountains here in Washington and lowland heavy rains w/ strong winds. Yikes, there goes our power. Time to get out the generator. When is it time to dig out the suntan lotion?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"