Author Topic: Get out of Pete's way  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Get out of Pete's way
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
 We had so much stuff taking over the rock ledge at the top of the liner, we knew we had to tear it out this year. That stuff had only been in maybe 5-6 seasons. People complimented me on how natural my pond looked last fall. Well it doesn't look natural now. I'll post pictures of the mess we took out and what it looks like now. I'm so lucky. Pete put on his old barn boots and got right in there and used a sump pump and finally the shop vac to get all the muck out. Oh and he did a quick rinse with the power washer too.

This was the root mass from some mini bamboo. I was told it wasn't invasive. It's been in maybe 3 summers and I had one little cutting of it stuck under a rock to start with. Again, we could hardly lift this mass of roots. I don't think I'm ever going to put anything in the pond bare root again.  

But did we ever run into some messes. On one side of the pond, when we were laying the liner, he misunderstood something and cut a small hole into it. He thought he could lay it over a sprinkler head. I patched bothsides of the hole and we layed the liner right up against the sprinkler head. Well evidently the patch fabric isn't as heavy/strong as the liner and plants went right through it and found a way to get through the hole in the liner and then out the other patch on the back. I had been losing water more than I thought I should but not enough to really care much. I thought maybe it was a leach area in the waterfall. So that explains that. We were able to throw some dirt in and a rock underneath and bring the liner up enough to cut away the patched area. I don't think it'll cause a problem.

I had a round flat bottomed preform that I think is for a barrel planter. It sat at the edge of the pond. I had thought to put a pot with a lotus in it at one point but learned they needed lots of sun and that doesn't get it. So I put three small pots of Bog Bean, Yellow Iris, and mini cattails in the big preform. Eventually it was so overgrown, Pete and I could hardly pull the mass out of there. We managed to cut the mass apart and find the three pots and cut them out. We just hacked and hacked so hope there was something left of what was originally there to replant so we don't have to buy anything.

We have the water running in to refill it and tomorrow we'll clean the Skippy and put the three feeders and the one mutt that survived the winter back in the big pond. I don't know if we'll start the pump yet or not. I don't think so, not yet.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture of it full.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:21:53 PM by Esther »

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Get out of Pete's way
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »
Wow, you been BUSY, Girl!  (And guy  :D )

Good job - that sounds like a ton of work.  but isn't it nice to have everything nice and clean again?

How are you housing the fish until you get the pond ready?  Oh, and don't forget the dechlor!

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
There are three tiny feeders rescued from a wedding reception last summer and only one other fish made the winter. He is a mutt I think fathered by a white scaleless butterfly and a mother goldfish I think. I don't know if he has barbells or not. Remind me to look when I move him back to the big pond. We have a small pond for mini lilies that is across the boardwalk from the big pond. They are not connected.  This is a couple of years ago. 

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »
Jeepers what a mess...sure doesn't take most water plants to take over fast in a pond does it....I like to use them bare root but, keep them away from the sides and make sure to keep the clump in check.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »
     I've seen that happen with UMBRELLA PALM.  I was cleaning a concrete pond and took a SAW ZAW to it !!!   Ripped it out in 30lb junks !! the thing was MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE !!!!!!   BLuepickeral can get bat too --- a nice sharp blade ( always aware of the liner ) will make quick work of slicing into more managable sections !
way to go for getting that monster  root ball out of there !!!  Now pass the advil !!! ;P 
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:34:30 PM »
OMG, those are MASSIVE root systems, I would never be able to lift that. I bet Pete was tired at the end of the day.  I dread spring cleanout.   Every year I say I'm going to get my iris divided and I've only done it once, scarey thought now.  I know in the main pond my lilies are in plant pockets, I did divide some of them once, and then there were a few I couldn't get out, probably another scarey situation for me.  Every year I rip out cattails those things have massive roots too. 
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
GO PETE!   @O@   
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 06:59:31 PM »
WOW , that was one heck of a root system  :o
It must be pretty warm there to be able to clean out the pond !  o( o(
Not warm enough here for me to even think about getting into the cold water....brrrr.

bonnie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »
Bonnie, we're way north of you. We didn't get in the water. Pete used a sump type pump to get 99% of the water out while I scooped and scooped crud and leaves. Then we rigged up the big Shop Vac to get the rest. We were totally dry the whole time.  Sposed to be maybe high 60s tomorrow so will finish up the project.

We lifted that one mass together. I told him to get out the SawzAll but he wouldn't listen until it was out on the ground. LOL. Then he cut them up.

Did I say that round mass was Yellow Water Iris, mini Cattails and Bog Bean?

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
OMG...what a job. I hope his back isn't aching.
Mine is, just looking at the photos.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
Yup, you're right he said he's hurting a bit. But of course he wouldn't let me help lift much or cut the stuff up in the pond.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »
wow!  I dont have much success with things inside my pond.  My bogs do great thought but nothing like that.

Hey if you have any extra bog bean i would love some.  I have some things to trade if your interested.  Wanna lotus? ;00

tinkster

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 05:58:58 AM »
Pete looks like a hands on guy to me Esther.  Now only if I can convince my husband to go into the pond...  He said sure but will have to wait till mid summer when the water is warm.   ;D

Good job on tackling the pond chores.   O0  I'm sure it makes you guys feel great about getting it all cleaned out and putting back the few survivors in a clean pond. 

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 06:23:46 AM »
Well this morning I don't feel so good about the pond again. The water is down at least 2" over night.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 06:29:01 AM »
Crap.  :(
How does Pete feel?   ?)(?
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 06:40:15 AM »
Wow Esther, what a job!!  I hope Pete isn't feeling worse for wear this morning...I know I WOULD be  :o 

Bummer about your water loss, wonder where it could be?  :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »
When we repositioned the filter tub, Pete put a crease in the liner where there was extra liner from coming around a corner just before the tub. When he formed the crease, he layed the back part of it flat which caused the top of the liner to be pointing DOWN below the water line. We weren't quite wrapped up with all the tools and shop vac when I discovered there was water behind the liner under the boardwalk. We sucked that water out with the Shop Vac and it was streaming in quickly like from a big problem. Didn't make sense so we started tearing stuff apart until I determined it was something behind the tub. Thought somehow we had cut a hole in the liner. Was dying all the time. So afraid it was a major problem. Pete had put two pieces of 2 x 4 across the front and back of the tub to hold it in position and when he did that, he had to make that tuck to be able to have the liner lie flat between two 2 x 4s. It was right up against the sidewalk. As soon as he pulled that piece of wood out, I could see something wierd in the shaping of the liner. PHEW!!!! We repositioned stuff again and pulled the liner up and he's out there putting it all back together again.......So glad he found it before everything was all put away. I always think that the problem is under the rocks that are cemented together. LOL.

Pete said that he was a little stiff when he got up but went out and raked and soon was fine. It's a good thing too because it was after that we started looking for the NEW leak. I think we have it this time. First he thought it was where the pipe came through the liner near the top. So he repiped it and put in a ball valve because I kept whining that I didn't like having the water gravity out of the skippy every time I shut off the pump. He had a check valve in there but evidently there wasn't enough drop and it didn't close all the way so would slowly let the water through. Now I can just turn this by hand and know it'll hold. So we did get something positive accomplished besides fixing the new leak we had made. LOL.

Offline bra8ndy8

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/03/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »
Ohhh WOW whata chore!!! Glad yall figured out the source!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"