Author Topic: Bowl Lotus questions  (Read 1817 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Bowl Lotus questions
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
OK, I've got two nice bowl lotus tubers from Lawanna. I am going to do them in containers, not put them in the pond. I have some wide, shallow "colorbowl" type pots with no holes or I have some deep narrow pots with no holes. I'm not sure which is best to use. I can't use whiskey barrels or half barrel liners, they are too big to fit in the greenhouse and lotus need the greenhouse here to heat up enough to bloom in our gray and cool weather.

My colorbowl pots are 16" and 14" wide but only 6-8" deep and the other pots are 12" and 14" wide and as deep.

The lotus are 'Green Maiden' and 'Joyful Eyes' and I mixed them up even though Lawanna carefully labeled them.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bowl Lotus questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:27:41 PM »
LeeAnne I plant some of mine in pots narrow at the bottom and wide at the top--but, since lotus tubers actually will find their way to the bottom---I've found the ones I planted in wider but, shorter bowls do best....but, either one will do...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »
If it was me, I'd use the taller ones since you are going to have the pots freestanding.  With our dry/hot summers I like to have more water in the containers so I'm not filling them up every day.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »
Thanks, now if only I'd remembered the steer manure in two trips to the store....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:05:09 PM »
I have my Green Maiden in a 20" across, 17" deep pot for the last 3 years and it has done great!! It is a pot that narrows at the bottom.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I think the wider the surface area, the better off you will be. I raise all of my lotuses in 24" wide and 12" deep containers. My experience has not been good with containers smaller than 16" in diameter.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
thats the bad thing about most pots they are made really wide at the top and narrow at the bottom...deep is good so you can keep enough water on them but, they really do get cramped if the bottom is too narrow....best thing I have found to grow my bowl lotus in is the black cauldrons you can buy after Halloween .....they are perfect for them-just gotta remember to go after Halloween and grab some ;)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »
Keeping enough water on them in my climate isn't a problem. We aren't hot and dry. I have to dump water out of my pots all the time as the plants get totally submerged.

Finding space for a pot that is 24" wide in the greenhouse would be a problem....
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »
LeeAnne, in the winter, I stack my pots in the garage.
I use 2 x 4s to for support in between the pots.
After all, they're dormant.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »
Joyce, do you water the lotus in winter or just let them be until Spring? 

Thanks
Kuan

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
I keep the soil muddy-wet, very little or no submersion.
So yes, I add water about once a month, if that.
There is hardly any evaporation on the tubs under the top tub because they cap each other off pretty good.
The 2 x 4s provide a crack in to see what's going on and for adding water if necessary.

Same treatment with the water lilies.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline marla

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »
Joyce, do you not get real cold in the winter, I know I've seen pictures with snow??  I don't think I could do that here, but would be nice if I could...I think even the dirt/water would freeze in the garage here.
Her secret is patience.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:59:51 PM »
Our garage is attached, and under the house built into the slope we live on.
The garage doors open on grade...and then the basement is behind the garage built into the slope.
You have to walk through a door in the garage into the basement. Then there is a staircase from the basement into the main house.
And when you stack the lotus and potted water lilies, they insulated each other, up against the back wall...they are very protected.
You just gotta keep the garage door closed at all times.
We keep a thermometer in the garage, never seen it go below 35* unless the door is open for too long. (usually DHs fault ::) )
Once you close the garage doors, the heat from the Jeep or Trucks engine brings it back up over freezing.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »
Hmmmmmm, sounds like your garage may be a bit warmer then mine.  Mine is not protected by the house or built in a hill, it is attached but only one side to the house.  I'm pretty sure it gets colder then 35*, one year I tried to force Paper Whites in the garage and the dirt in the pot froze solid.  We will get very cold (-12 and lower) sometimes for a week.  DH wants to build a lotus pond this year for the larger lotus so we don't have to drag the whiskey barrells in the basement anymore, the smaller ones in the pond on the shelf I have always brought in but I think I could just drop them to the bottom of the lily pond it's about 3' at the deep spot....I talked to a few people last year here that do that.
Her secret is patience.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »
Lotus are very hardy as far as winter temps go but it is so cold and wet here in spring that they need to be in the greenhouse to jumpstart their growth to get blooms. I never got blooms on Sharon last year but I did get nice leafy growth. It may have been a mistake to keep her in the greenhouse over the winter. I'll have to call Hughes Water Gardens and the Classical Chinese Garden and see if they winter theirs in the greenhouse or just have them there in spring. I see no growth from Sharon at all.....
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 05:36:44 PM »
LeeAnne that is what happened to me last year with 2 of my lotus, Baby Doll and Carolina Queen, I put them in the basement for the winter in the Whiskey barrels and they only grew maybe 2-3 pads  last year and not big ones kind of deformed even at first, I thought maybe it was snail damage, but the Green Maiden I treated the same and it was fine....this year I'm noticing the same thing, the pads start but the stems seem to rot off.  Not sure if it is to warm down there or it is a fungas or snails again or what.  That is why I want to just try leaving them in the pond this winter......I can count on members here usually haveing some lotus so if they don't make the winter I'll try again.
Her secret is patience.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"