Author Topic: Tropicals survived the first winter...flowers are very small  (Read 902 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tropicals survived the first winter...flowers are very small
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:37:33 PM »
Last year was my first introduction to the ponding life.  I have managed to kill many plants, grow many plants , bought and received for postage other plants, curse caterpillars, snails, and raccoons, fight with string algae (still doing that), had my fish stolen by osprey, BUT despite all that I am still ponding! Yay!  {:-P;;

My Tina and Woods Blue Goddess tropical lillies pretty much stayed green and with leaves all winter, the others went dormant even in Florida.  We had some cold spells here that I actually had a thin layer of ice form over my smaller pond tubs.  Lately I am noticing that my Tina tropical is making very small flowers compared to last season, while my hardy has a bud the normal size.  I am wondering if that is normal for the tropicals to be smaller after the winter and then get larger, or if it means I need to repot this plant even though it is in a 5 quart bowl already. Any ideas? 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tropicals survived the first winter...flowers are very small
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »
What zone are you in? My hardies have had pads all Winter but not like they do now. My tropicals are just now coming out of dormancy. I'm sure that it's because the water is still a bit cold since I reached in with both arms today with both arms. I'm in Zone 9b in Morriston, FL.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:52:39 AM »
The tropical flowers will be smaller & then get bigger as the plant grows.  I recommend repotting & make sure to add fertilizer for the best bloom performance.  I use nursery 1 gallon pots for my display tropicals.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
Kat-Thanks for the advice  :)

Scott-I am also in Zone 9b but a little further south

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"