Author Topic: What's going on with my ponds.  (Read 703 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What's going on with my ponds.
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
Nope, not having problems other than the normal Spring-time cycling. I've started potting some collected plants, starting N. helvola seed, and testing some filter sand as a potting media. I've used Pickerel rush as my test subjects. I'm starting to clean out the two kiddie pools that haven't been touched since we moved here. Most of what is coming out of those is trash plants. I will be salvaging a few pickerel rush, broad-leaf arrowheads, sweet flag, and lots of parrot feather. I know of one frog hiding in there. After that, I will be pulling the hardy water lilies up for repotting and feeding. So far, two tropicals have survived and I'm still watching the other two. The spatterdock is coming back nicely. The vivips that Luwanna (Sunbeam) sent me have managed to hang on through the Winter. In all, I've gained more than I lost. I will have to sit down and make a list of all that I have as far as aquatics. Oh, and on top of all that, my wife and I helped out a new ponding family yesterday. He seemed To have some knowledge about terrestrials. I gave them a lot of plants to start with but they are coming back when the pond is done. They want to build two ponds. One of those will be for koi. I'm going to talk them into doing a plant filter with that so they can have blooms in that one as well. They just like koi because of the colors. I almost talked them out of koi and going with all goldfish. If only my water had been clear. ::) They are a young couple and seem eager to learn. They did take home a good load of rocks. Well, enough for now. I'll add more as I remember it. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with my ponds.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:50:25 AM »
Sounds like you have a great day & it is fun to talk with other ponders even if they are newbies  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"