Author Topic: We have a duck nest!  (Read 998 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
We have a duck nest!
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:37:50 AM »
Hey guys! I started a new full time job, so I haven't been around much.
cleaning up the front garden this afternoon and we found a mallard Duck nest. 4 eggs in it. Looked up info on them since the Mother wasnt' around, it's not unusual. Seems they will lay about 1 egg/day until they have 8-12, then will start to incubate all at one time. I hope they make it! We're supposed to get 6-9 inches of snow tonight. I am really surprised she chose this spot, it's only a few feet from the street. maybe I'll have cute duckling pictures to post soon!
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: We have a duck nest!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »
Kathy, I hope you get to watch the process. Ducks get goofy when they are looking for a place to nest. We have seen one in the mulch by a steakhouse type restaurant in the middle of south Grand Rapids, right on the second busiest street in Michigan. Another was in the bushes at a bank out here near where I live but again it was on 28th street and the nearest water was a long way away. I don't know how they get their babies to the water when they nest so far away.

We always have mallard couples come and swim around every day in the spring on the top of the pool cover. They do visit the pond in the front yard but I think they feel safer in the back. Anyway one day I found a duck egg laying on the part of the pool cover that is up on the cement sidewalk. The egg was all cold and it made me feel bad. I wondered if Mrs. Mallard had been overtaken by surprise labor pains.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
That is so nice ... hope all goes well with the nest.  My parents had a duck that laid eggs in their raised flower bed right beside where the cars always would drive/park.  We got lucky enough to see momma & her babies leave the nest & waddle down to the pond which was quite a distance.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:25:40 PM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
When my mother-in-law was in the nursing home, a duck would lay eggs every year in the courtyard.  There was no way out except to parade them through the halls of the nursing home.  The residents loved it. o(:-)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
I hope they make it and we get to see the pics. I love ducks...........notice my forum picture? My son took that picture for me and I just had to put it up.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:32:52 PM »
My family and I have learned so much watching all God's creatures that decide to make a home in our garden.   o(:-)  Please try to post photos for us!!

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
That is really cool.  I hope you get pictures!

I did notice that in my neighbors pond, there was a pair of wood ducks.  They were gorgeous!  I think they were just passing through.  :'(
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"