Author Topic: Need some help on filter material  (Read 2079 times)

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need some help on filter material
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »
ok i been reading up for 2 weeks now on pumps and filtration.  i got a natural pond about 35ftby 35ft  deepest parts about 4.5ft.  the pond has brim, tadpoles, frogs, 2 turtles, some craw dads. I got the water tested and its good so i bought 150 goldfish and 1 koi. Only 1 goldfish died in the 2 weeks they been in there so thats good. Now i want to clean up the water. Its got a sand bottom that i have been raking all the dead leaves out of for 2 weeks now also seems like that helped out alot with being able to see to the bottom.  i aquired a 100 gallon stock tank inwhich im going to make a filter out of. i allready ordered some media for it online. I want to do a upflow filter and im going to be running a prefilter before the pump.. my ? is can i use the eggcrate foam material in the filter?  i was reading that u can use those plastic scrubbing pads( round ones)   Now i know 100 gall filter wont be enough at first but its a start since im not ready to spend 1000s of dollars yet. i was also reading that lilys are good for the pond also  so i know a place i can get some at another natural pond around my way.  but is there any tips or things that i may not know yet?
i got a brown like material that floats on the bottom next to the sand will this help out by adding the filter.

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help on filter material
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
the pump i was thinking about ordering within a few week will be the Pondmaster pond mag 1800 will that be too much for the 100 gall filter tank? i know i need a bigger pump for the pond but its a start and i will upgrade once i see how this works.. just remember its a natural pond lol i have no liner or nothing and its open to the elements

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:18:55 PM »
so i guess no one is going to help me ?    i just want to know when i build this filter  what , and how to layer everything ... yes i read alot of info but would like to hear from a group of pple on how to do this ...  i know about skippys and some dude daves     just looking for help guys and girls thats it ...   im even willing to leave my phone number    910 858 0118  im in NC    feel free to call  im home on weekends  and get home 530pm on weekdays       thanks for ur help    eric

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:38:27 PM »
I am sorry no one has answered you yet xxxgotchipsxxx. I have read your post 3 times and I am at a loss for words. I have never had the priviledge to own a natural 35 x 35 by 4.5 deep pond. I hope I do some day. I could not begin to tell you how to filter it. I would think more towards aeration. I have no idea I am just trying to let you know you post is seen.

I have no idea about using eggcrates?

I think the 1800 pondmaster will be fine for the 100 gallon tank. I do worry where this pump will go in your pond with a sand bottom.  Is the pump a submersible? Where are you going to place the intake of this pump? If it is a submersible you will just dig a whole in a sand bottom and fill your filter. Let everyone know a little more about your pond and what you plan to do so they can help you.

100 gallon filter is way to small, 1800 gallon pump is way to small. You knew this but maybe more about what you want to do might help people help you.

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
since its natural... and the level of the pond veries<< spelling  im going to build a stainless steel frame and build a skimmer that will work if  the water drops below 8 inches .. i have a switch that will turn off the pump if no water is in it allready...   im a metal fabricator  when it comes to building things im good ... i just need to know how to layer the filter material.    im very good with animals  i got 3 great danes  1 german shorthair a pug   2 blue and yellow macaws. and now i just bought a house and it has a pond ........ u see what im getting at now ....and if u pple need something built out of stainless steel.... i also tig weld ...  i might be young to u pple  but i just want some fish that are healthy, and be able to see them ...  sorry to come off so blunt but i just want to know how to make this filter since i read topics for 2 weeks and everyone makes em different.

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
the pump im going to buy is a pond mate 1800  and no dont worry about the sand im building a stainless steel  housing for it that will sit 1 foot below the level its at now ... since its a natural pond and water evaps...     if u got myspace u can add me  www.myspace.com/plasmacutter      i got 2 pics so far of the pond up there  i will have more tomorrow once i dig and run some electrical lines for the pumps and stuff

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »
since its natural... and the level of the pond veries<< spelling  im going to build a stainless steel frame and build a skimmer that will work if  the water drops below 8 inches .. i have a switch that will turn off the pump if no water is in it allready...   im a metal fabricator  when it comes to building things im good ... i just need to know how to layer the filter material.   

I would consider fabricating a skimmer that floats withing a housing that allows it to rise and fall with the water level. The flow/kill switch is a good idea. The skimmer is only going to filter floating debris such as leaves before they sink, so your main filtration could be handled by a series of larger filters with a separate pump that are also shown on this forum. There is a video of a homemade skimmer on youtube. He hid it under some decking, you could use a short pier..Like he says, "Don't laugh, it's paid for." Check it out here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cCmMe3MgDw

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:42:51 AM »
Greg posted a link on how to build a large biofilter, it's how I'm going to do mine. With a pond that size, you could use one and see if it worked but it might take two, it sure will help. Also I'd use retro bottom drains, they would be perfect in your case.. here's the link to building the filter...

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36550

And here's a link to retro drains. You could probably fabricate something that does the same thing out of 2" or 3" pvc fittings and paint them black or a sand color to match the bottom of your pond so they don't show so much..http://www.aquaart.com/drain.html

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
i caught  more turtles today  i know u pple probley dont like it but i put a snapper and a green belly in there

Offline billyk

• Members
  • With us since: 12/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 03:50:51 AM »
ok i been reading up for 2 weeks now on pumps and filtration.  i got a natural pond about 35ftby 35ft  deepest parts about 4.5ft.  the pond has brim, tadpoles, frogs, 2 turtles, some craw dads. I got the water tested and its good so i bought 150 goldfish and 1 koi. Only 1 goldfish died in the 2 weeks they been in there so thats good. Now i want to clean up the water. Its got a sand bottom that i have been raking all the dead leaves out of for 2 weeks now also seems like that helped out alot with being able to see to the bottom.  i aquired a 100 gallon stock tank inwhich im going to make a filter out of. i allready ordered some media for it online. I want to do a upflow filter and im going to be running a prefilter before the pump.. my ? is can i use the eggcrate foam material in the filter?  i was reading that u can use those plastic scrubbing pads( round ones)   Now i know 100 gall filter wont be enough at first but its a start since im not ready to spend 1000s of dollars yet. i was also reading that lilys are good for the pond also  so i know a place i can get some at another natural pond around my way.  but is there any tips or things that i may not know yet?
i got a brown like material that floats on the bottom next to the sand will this help out by adding the filter.
I have a similar filter i made. I used round filter pads. ( the ones you would use on a floor scrubbing machine work great. Better then buying a gozillion scrubbys. Cheaper too. Any foam type product may be too dense and clog causing the water to swirl around the foam once its clogged causing no filtration. Good Luck.Also make sure you have some sort of overflow back into your pond in case it become clogged. Or else you will have a big problem. Not sure how your pumping the pond water through your DIY filter?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"