Author Topic: what's up with my goldfish???????????  (Read 1106 times)

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
what's up with my goldfish???????????
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »
Hi everybody :) I need your help again :-\  We have had our goldfish for almost a year.  They survived the winter and everything, but now one of our goldfish is acting funny o(  today we noticed that it wasn't swiming right o(  it was kind of swimmng on it's side and two other goldfish wouldn't leave it alone o(  They kept swimming along side of it o( Following it everywhere o(  Like chasing it o(  They were pushing it and acting like the were trying to hurt it   {nono}  So we took her out and put her in a large bucket with air and she seems to be swimming better but still not quite right :( She is kind of fat and has some of her scales missing o( Does anyone have any clues what might be wrong :-\ Could she be having babies or dying????  :( Thanks for anyone who might know  o(  Wags

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: what's up with my goldfish???????????
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
I had the same thing happen to 2 of mine about a week apart. Both of them are doing fine now. I too do not know why the others seemed to be beating them up.

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »
Sounds like she's a female and the other two are males.  Spawning can be really hard on fish.  If she's struggling a rest would be good.  Sometimes I float a small laundry basket and put the female in there to prevent the males from harassing her.

o( o( o( o(
Jim

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »
It is spring..... and love is in the air...er that would be water!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 06:20:46 PM »
Sounds like spawning to me.

kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
I agree - spawning. 

If she's rested, why not put her back in the pond, and see if you get some babies?

Note:  The eggs will be teeeeny, and most will be eaten by the adults.  But a few may survive, and in about 9 months, when they're large enough to not be eaten, you'll notice some young fish you don't remember buying... Those will be the babies, all grown up!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
Spawning for sure. She is sort of on her side because she is tired.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
Most likely spawning from my recent reading but it couldn't hurt to give her a cooked and shelled pea just in case.  I read that peas help the digestive system and a few goldie keepers I know swear by it saying that feeding peas to their goldie will cure a lot of ailments.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
I agree, spawning!  That happened in my little pond last year, too.  After a few days the males gave up and left the female alone.  Then some weeks later I saw tiny little goldfish babies swimming around.   o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"