Author Topic: Road trip  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Road trip
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 07:13:17 AM »
Great pics Bullfrog,,,thanks for taking us on vacation with you.  Makes me homesick for Ky. and Tennessee.  I love the Smokies!  That stinkin' woodpecker pecking holes in a tree; what could he have been thinkin'   lol

Wonderful pictures of you and your wife too!  8)

Yes it is a small world, and I have realized it more and more being a member of this site.  We have so much more in common than our love of ponds.  There is a thread that runs through all of us and pulls us together.  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 07:54:57 AM »
How fun, really enjoyed your trip diary.

I've wanted to go back to the South since I toured in high school. I'm still upset that Graceland was closed to tours the day we got there.....I need to visit Funny Cide and Cigar at the Kentucky Horse Park and to visit Bourbon Street as an adult.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »
Awesome pictures and an exciting story to boot! Reminds me of our family vacations when I was a kid, and someday I need to head back to Kentucky/Ohio and Tennedsee, great scenery and great people!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 08:05:57 AM »
I love these little trips members take us on.  Thanks for sharing - and Woody is cool.  Gosh, that bear encounter was scary - glad you made it through!  lol

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »
I’m glad that someone is enjoying the pictures. Here is Woody caught in the act and being pulled off of the tree…

I gave him a good talking to and threaten to zip back up in the backpack…

He ran back to his momma who took up for him, of course. You gotta love the little guy after all.

This look just screams…”I’m 2,000 feet up a rocky mountain trail in the rain, what was I thinking?”

One more river to cross…

But it is beautiful

They had to repack the mud in between the logs after every year to make it cozy…

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »
Woody and I made up this morning…

We shared a quiet, thoughtful moment on the rocking chair. Here, he is telling me a story about this wild fling he had with a female bluebird that got drunk from eating fermenting berries....

Even the hotel is a ponder’s paradise, there are running streams gurgling everywhere. This is the view off of our balcony..

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:23:14 AM by Bullfrog »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
Glorious photos!  Thank you so much for sharing them with us!  I think we need to take a trip to the Hocking Hills really soon.  I need a strenuous hike and scenery for my soul.  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
My gosh, I had forgotten how beautiful that part of the country is!  I've always striven to see as many different places as I could, but I'm starting to see the lure of going back to places you've visited before.

I do remember the roller-coaster roads, though.  We drove up and down a'many of them, in the Missouri Ozarks.  Car down here, stomach still up there.   :-X

But on thing, Bullfrog - VODKA?  While you're DRIVING?!?!  Please don't have an open container in the car, even if it's the non-driver who's having the drink.  Just too risky.  Can you imagine being tossed in jail in some foreign state, knowing no one, no lawyer, no friends, no cash for bond?  Ain't worth it.

Other than that, keep sending the photos!! 

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
PS:  Your wife sure is pretty.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 04:20:08 AM »
But on thing, Bullfrog - VODKA?  While you're DRIVING?!?!  Please don't have an open container in the car, even if it's the non-driver who's having the drink.  Just too risky.  Can you imagine being tossed in jail in some foreign state, knowing no one, no lawyer, no friends, no cash for bond?  Ain't worth it.

Other than that, keep sending the photos!! 

I learned long ago not to try to get in between my wife and her vodka.  {nono}

We found out yesterday that no horse rentals will let you rent a horse without a guide here, and all you can do is walk them, not even trot. That is understandable with the terrain here, it is just too mountainous. So we decided just to stroll the town, look at the sights and shop. She found some ceramic bears that she loves and I, even though I rarely buy anything if I  can help it, bought two really cool knives.

This cool stream waterfall was in a strip mall..

I found the perfect T shirt for my wife…

She insisted that we take one of those old photographs..

After shopping we found a really high class, upscale bar

They aren’t kidding  about dancing on the bar…

Mojitos were on special for $4.00 a pop and we were walking, so we enjoyed the evening.

She sat outside on a bench while I went into a Burger King to grab lunch. An older couple sat beside her and she told them about our hike up the mountain. He told her that his brother in law FELL TO HIS DEATH on that trail just last week.

It is so steep and rocky we made several comments about it while we were doing the hike. It was also raining when this man slipped. I took a picture on either side of the trail to try and show just how steep it was, but my camera doesn't have the depth of field to really appreciate just how high the trail is. If you look waaaay down there, you can see the stream.

The trail was very narrow in this spot and this is looking down the other side.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2009, 04:28:40 AM »
She loves those games with a mechanical hand and she won a lion so Woody now has a friend..

Here’s a few more of the park, we saw turkeys…

And deer…

The mountains are really beautiful..

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 04:41:51 AM »
Again, beautiful pics Bullfrog.  It's like having a vacation while sitting in my computer room in my jammies!  :D
LuAnn

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 08:47:49 AM »
Very nice pics Bullfrog!  O0

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2009, 09:28:41 AM »
Along with the scenic pictures, I love the stream in the strip mall, the bar that I would love to have a few beers at, and the old time photo! T-shirt is also appropriate for my better half as well...

Keep em' coming!!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
Wow, so different from forests out here in the West. I only got to see the Smoky Mountains from a car and they were off in the distance. Looks like a neat town and a fun bar. Even walking on a horse with a guide is good when you've got such great scenery.

Don't know if you are near this stables or not but I saw them on Equitrekking.
http://www.equitrekking.com/travel_guide/destination/37/Big-Red-Stables-(KY).html
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 05:57:44 AM »
I retraced my steps back into Gatlinburg to buy two more of the knives for Christmas presents for my son and SIL. A waiter told us that the bears discovered that there was fresh food in the dumpsters every night so they just moved into them. He said "They just started hanging out in them and wouldn't leave. A person would take the garbage out and screm "Oh my God!!" So they had to put latches on all of the dumpters..

Here's the lift if you have a brave heart..

Ready for the next leg of the road trip...

Made it into Chattanooga...

And went straight to Rock City...

Woody was thirsty after the trip..

Here we go..

Some tight squeezes..

Mushroom Rock..

She had a choice and went for the swing bridge instead of the stone bridge..

Woody tried to tell her to go the other way..

Here's the swing bridge..

You can see 7 states from Lovers Leap..

Quite a view..

Now this is a waterfall...

Back at the hotel..

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
What a great trip! You two seem like a fun pair. Beautiful pix. Thanks for sharing!
Mary

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2009, 04:42:41 AM »
Home at last. After 2,750 miles and lots of good memories it is good to finally be back home. The trip was great but packing and unpacking into a new hotel room every night was really getting old and it's good not to be cooped up in that car all day. The dogs went nuts, our neighbors said that the big one, Takoda knew we were almost home. He was very excited and agitated all evening and he hadn't been like that all week long. You have to wonder just what dogs know and how they know it.

Anyway, Home at last.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2009, 05:40:53 AM »
Ah, Home Sweet Home!  The closer you get, you just can't get there fast enough.  Now you have plenty of memories and pictures to reminisce as you sit in your own backyard with your cats and pups. 

Welcome Home!  @O@
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 09:04:49 AM »
What a great trip!  Thanks for inviting us along.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2009, 09:34:02 AM »
Mikey said it! {-)
Love the waterfall, can you imagine that in your pond?
Nice trip, great photos.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2009, 11:49:03 AM »
Love the waterfall, can you imagine that in your pond?

Jerry, that waterfall is 140 feet and the flow is incredible. Can you figure the amount of head/lift I would need to accomplish this please?  :D

I have a lot more pictures of Rock City, it is a really wonderful place. I don't want to bore anyone, but if anyone would like to see some more of this beautiful natural attraction I'll post some more. The formations and boulders are huge.

I like to think of this picture as "Flirtin with Diasater" Here I am in Hickville, Alabama wearing my "Support your local Bandidos" T shirt. It occured to me when I blew past a parked radar cop at 90 MPH that wearing this shirt, I sure wouldn't be able to talk my way out of a ticket. I'm glad he didn't pull out.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:28:42 PM by Bullfrog »

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
Yes, please bore us with more pics!!   ::)  I for one would love to see them.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
Thanks BF. It's been a while since the Smokies or Rock City. There's a huge underground cavern there too that's cool. My dad was stationed in Fort Oglethorp Georgia when I was a toddler so heard talk about Rock City all my growing up years. I finally got to see it in my late teens. We have stopped a few times since on our way to Florida or back. They keep it very clean and it is amazing how God has created those structures.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 09:07:20 AM »
Just read yesterday, in Family Circle Magazine, the Great Smokey Mountains is the nation's second-most visited National Park - right after Rocky Mountain, I think, as No. 1.  Surprised me - the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone weren't so high up on the list. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"