Author Topic: peonis  (Read 2380 times)

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
peonis
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »
i don't know if thats the correct spelling but i am looking for some for this year any suggestions....lorraine
lorraine

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: peonis
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:48:49 AM »
Never bought a plant from them but QVC is selling them right now.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »
Look localy first, Craigslist, maybe someone near you will be spilting.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »
I might be wrong but I heard that peonies are better divided in the fall.
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Kris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »
You should definately devide Peonies in the fall!  Peonies do not like to be distrubed once they are in place so when you plant try to put them where you want them to stay.  You could try & hook up with a local gardening club & they probably do a spring & fall plant exchange where members bring in their "extras" & trade them for things they want.  If you want to plant them in the spring I would recommend going to your local garden center & getting a plant with 3-4 "eyes" that looks healthy.  The Peony may drop it's buds unless conditions are perfect when you put it in.  Try for an overcast day if you can - rainy is better.  :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:03:34 PM »
Hey Lorraine, try local nurseries.  They should have a good selection for your area.  They would know best what fits your zone. 

I have the herbaceous variety and they are already sending up shoots!  I also planted some new roots but do not expect flowers from them until next year.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:16:54 PM »
I have moved/split both spring and fall.....yes fall is better, if you split in spring it must be very early and lots of dirt and don't expect blooms, however I have had them.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
thanks guys....i am kinda leary anyway because of the heat here,but i do want to try them...shade is best??? lorraine
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »
If your area is hot it is recommended that you have afternoon shade in the summer - when the sun is the hottest.  My peonies get sun right up until 1pm then they get shaded by trees.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
I have two different types of peonies.  The dark pink ones, I bought  (don't laugh) in a box at Sams. There was five, bulbs/tubers in the box.  They were like 10.00.  The first season they didn't do anything.  I didn't expect them too, but last year they bloomed.  The plants were still small last year, but I believe this year they will really do well.   These are pics from my Sams Peonies.

My others came from the yard next door.  This was years ago, the house was going up for auction and they told me I could have all the plants I wanted.  There were two light pinks, and I dug them up.  Neither spring or fall, I didn't have a choice.  I just took a chance, and kept an eye on them.  They're huge.  I don't have any pictures of them.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
Very pretty peonies Kim!! 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »
ty

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tootsie

• Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
Yes, so pretty peonies, Kim.
I have purchased those and daylilies, Iris, and am now looking at the #60 Caladiums I just purchased from them. I dare say these are very small ones. The peonies I purchased 2 years ago from Sams Club were very small. I ended up having to dig them up and transplant them into another garden. At first of course they just wilted as it was a warm, sunny day, but I had no choice but ot move them quickly. They at first fainted and layed down until the next day, that was cloudy. Evidently the decided to stand straight up and before long started sending up shots :) Last year I ordered some stargazer lilies from QVC(cottagge gardens), they bloomed but the next summer there were only 2 dwarfed at that! I guess I should have sent back the packing slip letting them know.  I just will not order from them again.

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »
I have never ordered from QVC but they sure do sell their product above and beyond any other seller. lol I only mentioned QVC because I saw it at the same time the original post question came.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
Those Peonies are beautiful. I've never had any but I've heard about them. I guess they last for many years. Maybe I'd like to try a tree Peony. Gotta get busy and do it instead of just talking about it every year. So much to do..........so little time. Trouble is I want everything I see! Thanks for sharing your pics Kim.
                                                               Janice

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Love that color , kim.... o(:-)
I've been thinking about buying a box of peonis from Sams too .
I've bought iris from them a few years ago & they are doing great !
Don't have any luck with their hostas tho.... :'(

bonnie

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 12:08:04 PM »
Lorraine:

As said earlier, spring is not the best time to plant peonies, unless you find potted ones at the nursery.  Bareroot tubers, especially in your heat, may be a little of a crapshoot!  But if you can find 'Scarlet O'Hara' or 'Krinkled White' in pots, they are among the more heat tolerant varieties and may work with your summer heat and limited chill hours during the winter.  They are certainly worth a try !  Mine are getting ready to bloom now-I will post a pic or two in a week or so.

Steve

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47:10 AM »
I don't know about Sam's Club but I've purchased packaged bulbs and perennials at Wal*Mart that were NOT true to name. Ditto Costco. Just a thought.....Local garden centers should have peonies this time of year. They aren't the cheapest perennials but they are very long lived and worth the expense. Here is a good mail order supplier:

http://peonyparadise.com/

They ship in fall. They are here in Oregon, I'm going to go tour their display garden in a couple of weeks and will post pictures.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
thanks all of you !!! i will wait till the fall to get some....lorraine oh Kim gorgeous as usual,,,, 8-)~
lorraine

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »
Someone local can come dig up mine that I planted about 10 years ago.  Only one of the 4 bushes blooms & last year it only had 1 bloom.  This year 3.  I'd like to have something that blooms better for me.  The blooms are gorgeous & wish it would do better for me. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"