Author Topic: This would be nice  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
This would be nice
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:00:06 AM »
The entire thing would have to be built out of cedar or cypress, treated lumber would leech out harmful chemicals and any other wood would just rot, but it would really be a nice attraction..

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: This would be nice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »
Love the stack of rocks supporting the log/pipe...  lol

Why does it have to not rot? If everything were made of vinyl, that would be boring.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »
Bet that was on your trip east. I know we've seen working water wheels in the east.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
Beautiful ... I've always loved water wheels.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
Beautiful.... o(:-)

bonnie

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:54:50 AM »
This one was pretty large as you can tell by the woman in the second picture. I'd like to build a smaller one mounted on half a whiskey barrel though with a small pump, it would be unique and make a nice sound. I also like the way that the moss has grown on it.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:55 AM »
Could make it look a little asian too by using a big section of timber bamboo.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »
Mounted on a whiskey barrel sounds great  O0

Someone local last year was making where they were like a fountain in their own little water trough.  I wanted one but couldn't justify spending $300 for it.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:51 AM »
We looked into building one several years ago. They are kinda hard to build and get all the angles correct. I found directions online by googling water wheel plans or something like that.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
Could make it look a little asian too by using a big section of timber bamboo.  8)

Joyce, thats an excellent idea! I liked the hollow log look but finding a hollow log or boring out the center would not be feasable. Bamboo is easy, a long piece of rebar and a mallet and you are in business.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »
We looked into building one several years ago. They are kinda hard to build and get all the angles correct. I found directions online by googling water wheel plans or something like that.

Thanks Esther, I'm pretty handy in my woodshop and I think if I traced the wheel the size that I want it on posterboard using a pencil on a piece of string for a compass, I could them use it for a template or a pattern. Cedar fence planks are cheap and the arc of the wheel, as much as would fit on one board, could be traced onto the wood and the angle would be there for you. Cutting the angle is easy with a compound miter saw and I have a complete woodshop.

These radius pieces that would make the sides of the wheel could be easily joined with a Kreg tool. Esther, as handy as you are I have to tell you, the Kreg tool is the best thing that I ever bought and I have every piece of woodworking equipment that you could want. It's relativey cheap and it makes amazing joints really simple. You can make picture frames, table tops by joining many boards side by side, repair furniture legs, you name it. If you don't already have one, take a look at the website.. 

http://www.kregtool.com/index.php

In the upper right corner of the site is a box that says "What is Kreg joinery?" There is a "go" button that will show it in action and you will be sold.
He shows you how easy it is to build a small bench. Here's a link to that window...

http://www.kregjig.com/kregjig/

Offline MIKE M

• Members
  • With us since: 26/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:57 AM »
I once saw were someone painted pvc to look just like bamboo.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 06:56:33 PM »
Bullfrog, you could split a log with a saw and machine it out so you could wrap it around a pipe. It's a lot of work but it would give you the log look, especially if you use ABS instead PVC pipe.

I plan to build one once I catch up with all the other projects. {:-P;;
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"