Author Topic: Meet Cheeky and Lychee!  (Read 2251 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Meet Cheeky and Lychee!
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:19:47 PM »
I'm a slave for fancy fish and my DH (I mean that literally  ::) )  We were in the neighborhood of our favorite fish shop and wouldn't you know it they had a new shipment in of orandas a week before and we missed the real pretty fish.  Well we couldn't leave without a couple of souvenirs!

We wanted a female oranda for our male, Raspberry, because he really is a jewel.  We got him two hopefully females.

Cheeky has a very full face and Lychee has a very red wen, redder than Cheeky's.  Apologies for the lousy photos but we had these two in quarantine for 2 weeks and DH was itching to get them into the pond and I was not prepared.

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Cheeky and Lychee!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:23:34 PM »
Errrr, Annette, you might want to return them.  Looks like their brains are popping out.   :o

(Just kidding.   ;)  They are really pretty.  I used to have a Red Cap Oranda that I just loved.   o(:-) )
Jim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Funny Sonny!   ;D lol  Funny you should say that, our very first Oranda we got 2 years ago is named Brainiac.  We thought it looked funny with so much brain oozing over its head.  :D

BTW You're correct in calling them Red Cap Orandas.  Something else to remember  :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Meet Cheeky and Lychee!....Ick, CPR, and bubbles.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »
Well these two cuties have developed the dreaded ick.  I isolated them in a large bucket and treated them with newly bought medicine especially for ick.  I threw a small fountain pump in with them.  Next day, today, they were floating at the top on their sides or upside down.  AAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!! 

All I can say is "these two $$ fish can't be returned and better not die".  >:(  I pulled the small pump and got the pump with air stones thrown into the bucket.  In a few words I gave the lifeless fish CPR with the air stones blowing through their gills and mouth.  Cheeky came out of its stupor after a minute or so of bubbles running through it. 

We were pretty sure Lychee was a goner.  DD was wailing about loosing 2 precious lives.  :cry:  It's mouth was wide opened and stiff but the body was limp.  After what seemed like a long time, about 5 minutes, over the bubbles, I was ready to toss Lychee into a bag before sending it off to the big green trash bin. This babes was not moving a bit.  I scooped it into a small clear plastic tray with just enough water to cover the body and just looked at the lifeless body.   :'(  Did I imagine it or....did I see the mouth move on its own?  Did the gill move?  I dipped Lychee back into the bucket and lo and behold!  It LIVES!!!  Slowly Lychee stated to breathe on it's own.  Both of the fish are happier with the air stone and the multiple change of water.  Phew, so much work.

I saved two freaky fish with CPR!  @O@  Best of all I don't have to listen to DH harp about my buying too many fish for the lily pond  ::)  I'm happy girl today!  @O@

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:03:56 AM »
So what caused them to go lifeless like that?  I am confused...
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »
I think the fact that I didn't have sufficient aeration made them keel over  :o  Plus the fact that their fins were so red and ich spread all over the fins made them weak.

My DH accidentally turned off the power switch the pump was plugged into last night and when DD came home about a 4 hours later she found the 2 orandas floating again but still alive.  After she turned the power back on the fish kicked back to life and eventually swam to the bottom.   O0

Today I completely changed the water and they are swimming happily.  Their fins are less red and the ich spots are diminishing.  Later I will give them another dose of the ich meds.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
someone tell me what DH is....is that dear husband?? lorraine
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »
Dear husband  O0

Offline nartas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/12/2022
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 06:04:06 AM »
Organization and cleanliness go hand in hand for a stunning cleanhomeview. I'm loving the newfound order. try this out

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"