Author Topic: Spawning?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spawning?
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:53:51 AM »
So Friday we had some long lasting light rain (for our area that add's up to about 1/2 an inch if were lucky!) Saturday I went out to check on the pond and I notice my large feeder fish (about 3-4 inches in length) was being rudely harassed by the twins :o. Two matching gold feeder fish (about 2 inches in length). I watched her for hours as she swam around depositing eggs. Never saw any discharge from the boys. So will the eggs make it? I don't plan on doing any thing with the plants that she left her eggs on. i NEVER thought the fish would spawn this year. I figured I had at least till next year.  ::) So My question is... will the twins have matured enough to fertilize my females eggs? If so I'm not really worried about the babies, if they make it cool if not cool too. I wanted to spawn my fish but next year when I have better stock to breed with. This year was supposed to be all about learning and decorating.  ::)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spawning?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:04:19 PM »
If you can see white or off white, eggs they are infertile.  Any clear, no color eggs are fertile.

Any eggs left on the plant can also get eaten up by forever hungry fish.  Unless you have a plan for all the babes that survive it will be very difficult to keep too many fishies in your pond.

Happy ponding!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"