Author Topic: water lettus question  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
water lettus question
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
Ok!
i can grow hyacinth like insanely crazy! big huge fat ones.. long tall skinny ones.. anything.
this is my first year with lettus... and i'm getting it to multiply so much quicker than its growing large... how do i get it to grow big.. instead of a bunch of littler ones.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: water lettus question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »
Michelle, you will need a tub or bucket and some fertilizer crstals that dissolve in water. Put the water lettuce in the bucket or tub and wait a month. Take them out when they reach the right size and rinse the roots off. With me being in Florida, you didn't hear that from me. {nono}

:)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
Water lettuce also does not like as much sun as water hyacinth does but like he said a week in a tub with miracle grow sure does help.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
To keep them from spreading, take a plastic drip system 1/2 inch tubing and form a hoop.  Sort of like a small hula hoop.  They spread much faster than they grow.  The key is to contain the spread.  I had water lettuce last year and I couldn't stand it.  My fish loved the shade, but I was scooping it out every week.  Pondman's idea works as well.
Alfonso

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:46:01 AM »
Ditto everyone above, except I don't live in Florida  ::)

When confined it seems to grow "fuller" and larger.  In my small pond I had it growing in a small area and it grew very big.  Once I let some grow out of that space they did do the spider thing where long branches were growing out from the parent plant with smaller babies at the ends.  But boy did these guys spread out!  Had to constantly dump them out. 

I'm over water lettuce for now.  Too much work on me and the bio filter.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »
ok miricle grow here i come!

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:55 PM »
Wished I had that problem.  I keep killing mine.  :'(

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »
Mine isn't growing very well either.  I'm going to have to do the Miracle grow in the bucket and see if I can get some going.  I don't have much going in the hyacinth category either.  Should I attempt the same treatment for it?
Jax

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »
well hyacinth want lots of sun!  O0
and that part of your pond that doesnt have very much water flow, and the water just kinda sits... and gets mucky... or a muckey bucket.. they like that. they dont like clean water. the more muck the better.

this is a shot of like 2 inches of water between two bullrush that has absolutly no filtration what so ever... and they just grow and grow on top of each other... and the old leaves die off and decompose and feed itself.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:35:16 PM »
Michelle, I don't want to debate with you but WH's do not need lots of sunlight to grow big. What they do need is food. I've raised them in a shady pond for three years and they got to be up to 24" tall with big leaves. One year, I had almost lost them. Florida introduced a weevil that eats WH's. They found mine that year and by the time I finished, I only had 1/3 the number of WH's that I had started with. Florida don't like WH's but they are under control and will allow ponders that are not on any natural bodies of water to have them. As long as you are not a nursery. We can't sell them either without all the right papers. ::) Just a little bit of info. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
man 2 feet tall!  :worship:thats huge! aRE THE flowers still the same size?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
Nope, they are double to triple the size when the plant is that big. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"