Author Topic: filters  (Read 900 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
filters
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »
I want to put a new pond in near the house and I want a filter that will be easy to hide and not like my skippy.  Is there one that is kinda like a pool filter as far as looks but isn't really expensive?
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: filters
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »
Bog filters are quite effective, and are gaining popularity these days.  They are beautiful, too, as they are a gravel pit filled with bog and marginal plants.  Pond water is pumped through, and the gravel catches the solids while the plant roots filter out the toxins. 

There's a good how-to in our DIY section.  Think it's by TimGod, if that helps you find it.

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:03 AM »
Bog filters are nice, but big draw back is if there is a health issue with the fish it can harbor the issue and make it difficult to treat the fish because of the plants.  The definitely are more pretty that other filters!

Matala makes a nice box filter with mats that are easy to clean.  They've made it with a clean out and it can have a UV or not as you need.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5186+16843&pcatid=16843 Don't know if that is the best price on one, but shows you what it is.  I have one running now on a qt with a submersible pump and matala pump prefilter.  Did a good job getting the dirt out of the tank but it's still green as I didn't put the UV in  ::)  That was overnight and the filter I had running on that tank was not keeping up with the koi fish load on it once I started to feed some

edit:  these are also nice as they can also be run in multiples if more filtration is needed. 
Mary

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »
A slight twist to the bog filter is the plant filter. There is no gravel and the plants are in pots on wire shelving. The pots with holes are best as the roots come out the holes and down through the wire shelving. The roots catch most of the waste and debris. If you want a diagram, I'll have to draw it for you.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"