Author Topic: how to contain floating plants  (Read 1902 times)

Offline lock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
how to contain floating plants
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »
First season with plants in my new pond.  How do I contain floating plants?  Since I have a skimmer they enjoy gathering right in front of it and blocking large debri fom getting to the skimmer.

What tips do you guys have to control where my floating plants go?   O0

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: how to contain floating plants
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
I have created a large hoop using sprinkler line (the thin black hose) and used a couple tee's and then anchored it to a rock at the side of the pond.  So it was a large loop, a tee off of that, and then a small loop on the other end around a rock (or use fishing line to anchor it)

I first used it to contain the food so it won't go to the skimmer, but found it worked good for floating plants, too.  Eventually, when the water lilies produce enough leaves they kind of contain everything else.  Hope this helps.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:53:05 PM »
I have two different methods:

I got a black laundry basket at the Dollar Store, and put a potted lily in there, along with hornwort and anachras.  Small fish can get to it, water filters through so the plants can do their job cleaning and oxygenating it, but the koi can't get to the plants.

And I also have an open top rectanglular basket made of a PVC pipe frame (drill holes in the PVC, so it doesn't float), with black plastic mesh (like for a screened porch or patio sun shade) sewn around it.  In one of my rare successful attempts at posting photos, I did get one of this basket posted, somewhere, about a year or two ago.  I have lilies, floating plants, and delicate fantails, orandas, and goggle eyes safely sheltered in here.  Fresh water flows through easily.

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »
I also built a frame from gray PVC and achored it with fishing line. We picked up some nylon netting from wal-mart and attached it to the pvc in the form of a basket with zip ties. I floated my floaters in it and the koi can't nibble the roots. When its full you simply throw some out into the open or make another.

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
I have a smaller kydny shaped pond and wanted to keep my floating plants away from my lillys (they were always covering them!!!) so I took a long piece of drift wood and set it across the top of the pond. It added a nice texture and looked natural. Now it's slid a bit into the water and has algae growing on it. Drift wood will sink so don't plan on floating it.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »
Keeping the plants in a bag or basket where the fish can't tear them up also will reduce the amount of loose submerged matter being sucked into your pump and filter.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »
for tall floaters use fishing line across the pond anchored to the sides by any method that works, like tie around rocks, sticks, or land plants out of the pond.  Did that make any sense?  :D

Offline lock

• Members
  • With us since: 04/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:40 AM »
Great ideas that give me several options.  I'll try a mix of them and works something out.  O0  I kind of like the thin sprinkler line as it would be kind of hidden.

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
I also use fishing line...it works great!!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
I also use the thin sprinkler line but I can't get the 2 ends to stay tight together so water eventually leaks in and the circle started to sink.  Can someone tell me how to get the 2 ends to stick together?

Kuan

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
our skimmer is in a narrower area of the pond, I place a long stick across the water from side to side, anchored in the rocks so it is half above, half below the water, it works great and looks natural.  I also have used a hula hoop.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 06:57:17 PM »
I don't understand this... If you block off the skimmer so floating plants can't get into it, won't that also keep out the gunk and stuff you want to be filtered out through the skimmer? 

Tweety - have you tried silicone caulk?  Make sure it has plenty of time to dry.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »
I also use the thin sprinkler line but I can't get the 2 ends to stay tight together so water eventually leaks in and the circle started to sink.  Can someone tell me how to get the 2 ends to stick together?

Kuan

I just bought some tee-barbs that the hose fits over.  I bought two tee's and made one large circle and a smaller circle with a straight line between. The small circle is around a rock in the pond so it stays in place.  The barbs are very snug and don't allow any water in.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:43:16 AM »
Ooi, why didn't I think of that?  DH has tons of those tees sitting in the box in his work truck.  He makes a living installing sprinkler systems so we have plenty of supplies.  We also have lots of silicone caulk left after he recaulked the windows, sidings, etc last year.   O0   Will definitely give the suggestions a try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kuan

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:59:41 AM »
sometimes the simplest ideas are the hardest one's to come up with!   LOL  I won't need silicone if you use the barbs, they're very snug (by design) and my 'ring' has been in the pond for a couple years without a problem.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"