Author Topic: Land plants (mistakes) that grow in the pond......  (Read 2458 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Land plants (mistakes) that grow in the pond......
« on: May 22, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
WE havent posted this in a while and I love to see all the things that will grow in the pond .  Last year I accidentally planted my calidiums thinking they were my taro in the stream... and they grew.. ...

We use to have a list here on plants but I cant find it anymore... so lets start a new one for people like me that cant remember and the new ponders.

tink

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Land plants (mistakes) that grow in the pond......
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »
The caladiums look fabulous in your waterfall!  As are the impatiens.  Beautiful!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
the funny thing is that alot of water plants are just land plants that can handle the wet conditions...they then double the price and change the names....

my list of land plants that will grow in water...

Impatients
cannas
colocasia taro
hibiscus
moneywort sold as creeping jenny
mexican petunia(Ruellia) sold as blue bells
just about any mint
calla lilies
been told banana plants will grow in the pond

and then there are bog plants that I have grown very well as garden plants
sedges
acorus (sweetflag)
rushes
umbrella papyrus
flag iris
reeds
ruby runner
yerba mensa
horse tail
aligator weed
water celery
chameleon(I think that this maybe one of those ground plants sold as water plants)
Heck I even throw water hyacinth down on the ground just to have it root and live there all summer long...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:11:39 PM by tranquility »
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »
This is great  O0 I am copying all of these as I get them and saving them so I can choose from them in the future. Keep them coming  @O@ What do you people do w/ the tropical ones in the cold winter.............take them inside I assume?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
There is actually a rooted water hyacinth(Eichhornia azurea). Regular water hyacinth is Eichhornia crassipes. For more info go to http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/node/140.

Another aquatic that is also planted outside of the pond is bald cypress. I knew about horsetail rush and taros/elephant ears. Wal-Mart sells Black Magic Taro as Black Magic Elephant Ears.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 06:10:49 PM »
the floating hyacinth do root quite easily...I usually have 3 or so clumps of them growing during the summer from where I pull them out and plop them onto the ground out of the tanks and ponds when they get too many and they will continue to bloom.....even in the gh and it gets really hot and dry in there thru the summer....
Lawanna

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
my water banana
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
water banana
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »
This banana stays in the basement all winter in water at temps of 50*-55* in the coldest part of the winter. I bought it at a greenhouse and it was growing in water. I am going to try this with an extra banana myself and see if you can grow it in water like you start out with cannas.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
Sweet Potato Vine. 

I'm trying some others that I picked up on clearance but don't recall their names off hand.  The tags all said moist or semi-moist.  I'll update this posting after I look at the tags.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Karla

• Members
  • With us since: 16/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
So you can basically toss these plants in the water, and they'll grow?  Like the sweet potato vine (I love that) and chameleon?  I have a chameleon plant that keeps coming up in another flower bed close to my house....not sure how it got there!  My daughter's mother-in-law mentioned wanting that particular kind of plant, so I dug that one up and gave it to her, and it's back again this year! lol  So, would I need to plant it in the pond or just dig it up, rinse it off and toss it in?

How fun! lol

Offline Kabuki

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
My Hercules calla lily has been growing like a weed in a bucket of water. I transplanted it into a two gallon full of a pond dirt medium and put it in a big ceramic pot and keep it filled with water. The more water it has, the happier it is, and it drinks water. I have two large blooms right now.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 07:28:58 AM »
any garden plant that you put into the pond are usually just going to like wet feet/dry ankles meaning either above water level or just at....most couldn't take being under several inches of water...and on the canna-I get mine started outside the pond growing-once they are up and growing then put them into the pond...I've also been told you can put daylilies and hostas into the pond but, only during the growing season-- but, to me that just sounds like too much work to be putting them in and taking them out....
Lawanna
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:03:24 AM by tranquility »

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 09:15:11 AM »
I just tucked the Chameleon plant in between my rocks on the side of the pond in various spots making sure it's cut off stem stayed in the water and it's been growing happily for a couple of years now  :)

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
karla..  I plant mine in the stream in moving water with a rock on them so roots are in the water but the rest are above.  ANy thing else goes in the bog with just wet soil.  The few I have in my pond are in pots with the crowns above water.  I cant get any of my plant to do anything if they are beneath the water.

tink

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »
Mints do o.k. in the pond?? What do you do with them during winter? Do they overwinter?

I just got a peppermint, orange mint and chocolate mint and I'm having trouble figuring out where to put them. So I could pot them up and put them in the pond??
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
mints are soo easy to grow...but, I would make sure they were just wet feet/dry ankles to begin with....mine stay outside all winter long....i have both spearmint and peppermint...
Lawanna

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Mint needs a lot of sun, too.  I have mine growing in the bog filter.  But before I had the pond, I had mint, and it positively went WILD.  Grew all over the yard, even inbetween cracks and out onto the driveway.  Even with little watering - go figure... I'm thinking there must have been a leak somewhere, feeding it water.

Popular around here are these floating "islands" of cork bark, about a foot square, with holes drilled in them to accommodate plastic flower pots.  You stick your plants in, and they develop water roots, and float around in your pond.  Really cool.  Just about any type plant will work, surprisingly.  And the pond store has tons of them made of succulents.  In fact, those succulets are what they recommend most, for the floating island gardens.  Somehow, when they're put in water, they develop the type of roots to adapt to a wet, rather than arid, environment.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
Love this topic, as most of my plants would die off over winter (zone 5)and it would cost a fortune to replenish every year.
I am growing grasses (golden sedge and Overdam) right in the pond anchored with rocks and no pots. Hostas, siberian iris and big yellow iris (from Cath!!), regular forget me nots,chocolate mint, too. All survived winter this year and it was a BAD one!!
Kathy

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I just bought Carex Sparkler to try out in my pond.  It is supposed to like to stay moist & partial shade.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline frogman3

• Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 07:18:38 PM »
I have tons of regular forget me knots that I wanted to try in the pond. Will they keep blooming with all that water available. I just today I  made my own floating island and I think I will add that. Thanks for the tip.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »
Perplexed Ponder, Did you leave the Hosta in the pond all winter? And did you have it in a pot with soil and fertilizer or how did you plant it in other words? Thanks, Janice

Offline Charla

• Members
  • With us since: 05/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Sweet Potato Vine. 

I'm trying some others that I picked up on clearance but don't recall their names off hand.  The tags all said moist or semi-moist.  I'll update this posting after I look at the tags.

Several years ago I planted Sweet Potato Vine in back of my waterfall ... it was like an invasion!  It took over the falls, and was trying to engulf the whole pond before I got rid of it.  It roots EVERYWHERE!  I would NEVER plant it or any mint near a pond again, nor would I plant  mares tail, it was too darn hard to control and get rid of.  I'm in Southern California so winter doesn't kill this stuff back.  They all LOOK pretty, but ... just a warning.   

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
hehehe same here.. sweet potatoe vine is beautiful but it takes over anywhere I have put it!  IT sure needs a big area.  in my waterfall I trim it back at least twice a week to keep it in check but it still cascades down my rocks.

tink

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 03:20:19 AM »
Janice-

Yep, I keep the hosta in there all winter, no pots or soil. I just anchored them with some rocks or put them between largere stones. Only a few inches into the water.  Honestly I didn't think it owuld work here in zone 5, but to my surprise it worked great! I got varieties that tolerate the suna  little better. I don't remember the names, but check tags when you buy them. I am trying to get rid of all pots except for the lillies and lotus. I hate the way they look, no matter what I do parts of them always show.
Kathy

Offline reptilegrrl

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 06:46:24 AM »
Once I bought a pad of woven barley straw to try to control algae.  I put it in the pond filter, and it actually came to life and sprouted new growth. 

I also found corn growing in one of my shallow ponds, I think a squirrel or bird dropped a kernel in and it sprouted.

Now I want to put a dwarf banana tree in one of my half-barrels!

I often stick cuttings of non-aquatics into the pond filter to root them.
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
Janice-

Yep, I keep the hosta in there all winter, no pots or soil. I just anchored them with some rocks or put them between largere stones. Only a few inches into the water.  Honestly I didn't think it owuld work here in zone 5, but to my surprise it worked great! I got varieties that tolerate the suna  little better. I don't remember the names, but check tags when you buy them. I am trying to get rid of all pots except for the lillies and lotus. I hate the way they look, no matter what I do parts of them always show.

This is what I'm trying to do also.............avoid the pots if at all possible. Much easier to deal with  O0 If it works for your zone than it should work here in zone 7  @O@ Thanks for the info  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"