Author Topic: wonder if I killed it......  (Read 1063 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
wonder if I killed it......
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »
Do you ever have one of those moments that you do something and it hits you later that was not what you were suppose to do?? I had a bad one last fall and didnt even catch it till now.  I pulled out my banana trees to plant and it seems last fall when I harvested them instead of cutting the stem down to about 2 ft and throwing it in the basement, that I cut the stem back almost to the bulb.. well really to the bulb.  I wonder if they will come back.  I have/had a huge clump.  Some of the smaller side babies have a few inches of stem left.

Tink

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: wonder if I killed it......
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
Well, have you priced up new banana trees yet? ::)

lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »
Can't help with your question but just wanted to mention that my son has bananas and leaves them in the ground overwinter.  We are in zone 5b.  I also know several others that leave them out all winter.  He mulches them pretty heavily.  Just thought you might want to know.  You could always leave just one or two in the ground to try.  He has several little new ones every year that he gives away.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 05:08:37 AM »
lol scott.. Thanks for that bit of reassurance.

Karen.. I was planning to try that this year.  I wanted to wait till I hate enuff babies and take a few in and test the big ones outside.  I dont know why I cut them off like that.  I guess I thought I was digging E.Ears.  I wont be real upset if they dont come back.  They took up so much room !

tink

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »
Your real question is "Do you ever screw up?"  That's a no-brainer for me....  All the time.... 

Yesterday I was working on fixing a screw up as I was the day before and the day before that.  Most of these screw ups took several years to manifest themselves.....  Today I will also be fixing another screw up but I will actually be TRYING to kill something.  Several years ago I planted Clerodendrum bungei.  I liked the flower on the plant and I at first thought it was cool that several suckers popped up nearby the next year...  However, I now have this plant popping up in multiple areas 10' from where it was originally planted.  So today I will break out the RoundUp and start the first of what will likely be several applications of this herbicide....  I too will be wondering if I killed it..  lol
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:42:22 AM »
Tink, bananas are very resilient. Plant it and give it a few months.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »
I thought my new banana that I planted last summer was dead and gone forever. The stem was moosh all the way underground and I dug around in there with a metal spike tool and couldn't find anything but lo and behold now I have 3 little babies that came up from the roots  @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »
Tink, as long as it brought a smile to your face. ;D I thought that I had lost mine during the Winter because it sets in a big pot next to the pond. I was just about ready to pull it out and put something else in the pot. They now have 3-4 leaves each. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23:18 AM »
The first year we had them, we did the same thing.  They came back with out a problem.  We haven't even got ours out yet this year.  Dang rain.  They're probably growing under the crawl space of the house. 

I'm gonna slowly wean off of them.  My hardys made it through the winter, and have 2 tiny pups coming up.  Lots easier than digging those massive things up.  Will still stick with my elephant ears though.

kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"