Author Topic: an interesting happened today on my daily walk yesterday......  (Read 1295 times)

Offline ladybug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
when i was starting out, i saw a small blob sort of melted like on the sidewalk.  i stopped and could see that it was a baby bird, with not much time to live.  i thought to myself, if it is still here when i get done with my walk, i will see what i can do.  when i was done i checked back with the bird and it was still there.  it was below some bushes on the hard sidewalk.  i peered through the bushes to see if i could see a nest or hear any more chirping from baby brothers and sister maybe.  i could see or hear nothing.  i reached down to pick it up and carry it home.  once i got home, i looked for the medicine dropper and whatever i could figure out for food.  the only thing i had that was mush like was grits.  so i cooked up a tablespoon of grits and let it cool down.  i took a small container of water and the grits out to the patio with the bird which i had in a small box with shredded strips of paper now.  it still has some baby feathers, but mostly adult feathers.  i checked him out for legs working and wings working.  everything seems to work just fine.  i fed him some grits and water and he instantly perked up.  chirped and started pooping like crazy.   i put him in the garage overnight and went out and fed him twice during the night.  this morning i took him to the patio and started the feeding process again.  i picked him up and carried him to soft grass and tried to emulate flight for him by taking my hand and slightly throwing him to see what he could do.  he spreads his wings and flaps slightly but is still not ready to try a solo flight.  he walks in the grass ok and made a pretty far trek out into the yard.  i have him now back in the box and in a cat cage to protect him from predators.  i am going to petsmart this morning and look for the baby bird food.  i think i can have him flying within a couple of days.  i asked my mother today when i had her on the phone if she heard her grandchick chirping ;)
ladybug
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:33:49 AM by ladybug »
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: an interesting happened today on my daily walk yesterday......
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:04:53 AM »
Awwwwwwww   o(:-)  Thank you!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:16:37 AM »
That's awesome ladybug!  I raised a whole nest of baby robins when I was a kid, they all lived.  Taught them to fly too.  Good luck with your baby, give us updates please!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »
they need high protein so soak hard cat food in water and feed that to him, thats what the folks at the animal center told us and it worked.

Offline ladybug

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:13:40 AM »
well i got the mix at petsmart and went home and mixed it up and boy does he ever like it.  he had hopped out of his box and was waiting for me when i got home.  i tried the toss up in the hand thing again to see where we stand with flying solo.  still holding on for dear life at this point.  he is still a hearty eater and pooper.  i think flight will happen within a few days.  he just needs to get full strength back and then i bet he will take off.  i know this is a zany question, but how will he know what or how to eat after he leaves home?  does he just know instinctively to go  and find worms, or what.  i will worry about my boy after he is gone.
ladybug

zone 7b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
That is so special!  You are a very caring person to take in the poor bird and to take such good care for it.  Can you tell what kind of bird it is?  Unless all the feathers are actually feather with no shell around the quills it won't be able to fly.  Even when it does fly it still need to be fed.

I see many turtle doves in my garden with their babies and they constanly feed the babies even when they can fly for at least 2 weeks before they leave the garden.

Good Luck!  I know the birdie is lucky to have you.  o(:-)

Offline ladybug

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
it has very little baby feathers left, but there are some still there.  it was grooming itself today earlier.  i put it inside my jacket next to my chest to keep it warm.  should i still be trying the light toss up in the air thing to see his progress on flying?  will he automatically come back to me for food if he does fly?  i have never done this before and don't want him to fail in life once he has left my nest.
ladybug

zone 7b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
Well Momma Bird, baby will fly when it is good and ready.  Keep on feeding it!  You're doing a wonderful job!  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"