Author Topic: Can't get rid of it? Try Craig's List!  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Can't get rid of it? Try Craig's List!
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:13:01 PM »
11 responses in a few hours!

I have these store fixtures, they are good trellises but very heavy.  Also impossible to trash.
Good for someone.
I got 11 responses in a few hours. Yes FREE!These are actually very expensive store fixtures. As seen at Best Buy, Sport Chalet and the like.
One is 4' X 8' two are 4'X 4' They are heavy.
You will need a Van or pick up to take.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1195695063

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get rid of it? Try Craig's List!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »
I've been amazed at what I can get rid of by posting for dirt cheap or free on Craigslist.  I'm not surprised those had so many responses.  Good luck with getting someone to actually show up & be on time  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:26:41 AM »
The things weigh a ton and are an eyesore.  A guy is coming this morning.  If he fails to show I have 10 back ups!  I bet I could have gotten 10.00 !  Nevermind, glad to get rid of them!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:55:45 AM »
A good guy and his wife picked them up.  He will bring me some BIG Agave americana!
Will join the site too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »
I have found that Craig's list is the best way to sell your car.  DH put his car ad up for sale after hearing about that site for the first time from a friend and got a call within one hr for a showing. Car was sold that evening!  We had been trying driving around town with a "For Sale" sign and leaving it parked in supermarket or shopping areas for weeks with no calls. Told my Dad about it and he sold his car on it in 3 days!

My Dad is now addicted to craigs list for ponding and other yard stuff.  He has gotten some really good stuff from there.  Told him about freecycle today.   {:-P;;
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »
I know what you're saying Jerry. We are redoing a courtyard area in our side yard. We had landscape timbers there from when we first made the courtyard eons ago. The bottom sides are pretty rotted but DH put them on Craigslist with a pic and explained that they are in rough shape but so far he's received 9 mails. A guy checked them out today and is picking them up tomorrow. Amazing!! Beats paying to take them to a dump, plus keeps them out of the dump too.
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »
I just spent four days (yes, FOUR days) cleaning the garage.  Going through boxes, pulling things out to get rid of. 

I'm gonna have a HUGE garage sale - soon, I hope, 'cause it's hard to walk around in there with all this stuff around the perimiter.  It's going to be a "Most Everything's a Dollar" sale, kind of like going to the Dollar Store. 

Easy to add up each buyer's bill.  And, at noon, everthing goes to half price.  I figure it's better to sell lots of things for really cheap, than be stuck with lots of things that wouldn't sell for $5 or $3. 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
Things get to own you rather than you owning them.  I grew up poor and thought I had to save everything.  NO MORE!
As one geezer told me, "hell, when i die my kids will throw it all out!"
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 05:02:00 AM »
my son-in-laws use Craigslist all the time.  One of them however for small things will not have people come to the house, he would rather meet them in a public place...he feels it is safer then letting to many people know where he lives and what he has.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:15:49 AM »
Exactly, Marla. We always make sure our yard is empty of yard tools and anything else when someone is coming to pick anything up. Plus we make sure our dogs are visible and egg them on to get them barking so people think they're mean. They are very good watch dogs but I think they would run faster than a person if someone actually did go after them.  ;D But people don't know that.
zone 5b

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 09:18:26 AM »
The dude that bought my big pond net never did come back.  I emailed him and offered his deposit returned, still no reply.  I can assure you as soon as I sell he will call. >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
The dude that bought my big pond net never did come back.  I emailed him and offered his deposit returned, still no reply.  I can assure you as soon as I sell he will call. >:(-
I had someone come and buy $100 worth of fish and pay for them ask me to hold them until he clean his pond that weekend. I didn't hear back from him for over a month, I finally e-mailed him I was feeling so guilty. I spent his money on food and still had his fish  lol anyway he had to go out of town for work and finally came and got his fish about 2 weeks later, I even threw in another wakin.
Craigs list sure is handy, I listed a pool for sale or trade that was just in our way and got a great stock tank, much bigger than our local farm supply even sells. I was a happy camper and the people who got the Intex were happy.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »
I am watching for stock tanks too.  I was inspired by Gander's post
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
I sold a viewing sphere to a lady on Craig's List about a year ago.  Just the other day, she e-mailed me a photo of her fish up inside the sphere, viewing the world, and also gave me an update on the baby fish I gave her, who are growing and doing well.

On the other hand, I arranged to sell some metal water meter covers (I had used them as stepping stones) to a couple, and told them I would be home after swimming at the YMCA, and that they covers were on my driveway, and we could meet there at 10:00am. 

Well, I was home earlier than that, and heard an odd noise, and opened up my garage door to see the people with a trailer backed into my driveway, and every single one of the 35 meter covers was already loaded into their truck.  The man muttered, "We were trying to be quiet, so we wouldn't wake you."  Then the woman quickly (let's say guiltily) thrust the $50 into my hands.  Obviously, they were hoping I wasn't home or wouldn't hear, and were thinking they could make off without paying for the meter covers.  They almost succeeded. 

I didn't let on, though, and we chatted nicely, and they even took some of my fry from last year's spawn.  But it was a learning lesson to me - never let people know your for-sale items are where they can be accessed without paying. 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:22 PM »
You bet Julles.  I keep my garage door closed!
( I swim regularly at the "Y" too)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"