Author Topic: Back Garden - 27 Oct (photos)  (Read 2159 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Back Garden - 27 Oct (photos)
« on: October 28, 2006, 08:07:07 AM »
Santa Ana winds are up - thank goodness they have been more like Santa Ana breezes at my place thus far. I hate the look of the bananas once they are all wind shreaded and torn. My Abyssinian Red has been unscathed thus far. Musing out loud about this recently, Sean tried to sympathise with my problem, "of worrying about warm breezes disturbing my tropical plants, from his soggy Pacific Northwest", or words to that effect.

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline MikeW

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Back Garden - 27 Oct (photos)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:10:30 AM »
Thought the plumeria (still prefer the name frangipani ) was done, but she surprised me with another pop of colour.

Mike

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:17:46 AM »
Your garden is lovely.  It's so nice that it's still putting on a show . . . we got cold too early and my plants didn't much like it.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:40:25 AM »
Boy, it just keeps going and going doesn't it. Ya gotta love your long growning season huh?
Everything  is just beautiful. O0 O0 Love the colours (always wanted to do that)  o(:-)

I should take a pic of what I'm doing now - my kitchen counter is now a potting bench and the floors are FULL of dead stuff and junk!  And the livingroom is full of my ice fishing stuff.  ;D ;D ;D @O@ @O@ @O@

Thanks for all of the great pics,

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 09:15:03 AM »
Ok - so what are you waiting for?  We wanna see the pics!!!!

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »
Very nice Mike.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 10:42:24 PM »
Mike: Your hibiscus look great.  How do you keep the darn white flies away?  They constantly infest mine.... >:(-
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 11:54:46 AM »
Shhhh Mike - White fly is not a word we use around here. I have lost so many hibiscus to that pest in the past, I went years without trying to grow them, but I missed them.

On Gardenweb, somebody posted about earthworm castings being great for keeping white fly away. I have, over the years, tried so many different things, so I got a couple plants, a bag of castings, which I use liberally around the hibiscus, and so far, so good.

Having tempted fate now, watch me go outside and see a swarm!

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 02:38:53 PM »
I'm glad to hear the worm castings work for you.  I haven't tried them because they are so pricey but I guess I'll just have to break down and spend some money.....

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »
Armstrong's Garden Centres - not the cheapest place, but a bag of castings was - I want to say - $7 ish - OK I am trying to remember, but overall quite cheap compared to not having hibiscus.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline terri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 04:12:38 AM »
Its so nice to see pictures of flowers in bloom at this time of year..
Very nice!
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
I picked up a bag of worm castings for just under $2.00 at my local Home Depot. Yours should have them too for a similar price.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
Last I checked worm castings they were 7 bucks for a small bag.  I will look again, but even at 7 bucks it will be worth it if they get rid of that nasty white fly.  The underside of the leaves are thickly coated with white webbing.  Nasty stuff.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »
Wow Mike, everything looks so good. I like your Hibiscus too. Hope you can continue to keep the white flies under control. My banana leaves stayed nice this year too. Of course now it's looking really bad after our frost last week. I need to clean up the mushy leaves and cover it for the winter.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »
Lovely garden Mike, wonderful to see all those tropical plants blooming when it is windy dark and rainy here.

I've got whitefly on my brugs in my greenhouse. Not a happy camper about it. I think all shall soon be dead in there anyway. DH never got electricity run nor weather proofing done. :( perhaps I was over eager to buy stuff. Good it wasn't very much for very much $

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 06:18:03 AM »
Worm castings are good!  But, probably not THAT good.  As a teenager, I discovered the positive aspects of verniculture as an adjunct to raising and selling earthworms to local fishermen as bait. Worm castings are really good for plants.  But as an insect repellent?  I remain unconvinced as yet, but am willing to learn.  BTW, for a different look at the subject from that espoused by those hoping to make $ from it, see http://www.bonniewren.com/castings.html .

In the meantime, as one who has battled whiteflies of several types over half a century, I can tell you what REALLY works.  Unfortunately, because of the evolutionary process known as "natural selection" postulated by Charles Darwin, in his treatise "Origin of the Specie and the Descent of Man", almost anything that results in killing off hordes of any pest, leaves those few that are resistant to the method to propagate the next generation, many of which may inherit resistance.  This even can work with flypaper. Probably also with worm castings, should they be effective at all.  Flies that dislike landing on vertical sticky stuff survive to propagate the next generation.

So, what can one do about whiteflies right now?  As with any thing that works, be advised that it is best to use the method with restraint, and switch tactics from year to year to keep the little buggers confused.

Use everything you already know about (Safer soap, worm castings, yellow sticky traps, thiodan, predatory insects, parasites, and pathogenic fungi.), and then, to enjoy the rare whitefly free season, employ the nuclear bomb of whitefly control:  Imidacloprid.   Admire 2e (listed for food crops with specific application instructions) and Marathon (listed only for non-food applications) can produce a whitefly free season for you. As noted above, you should avoid using these chemicals year after year as resistance will occur.  As with any chemical, follow the label explicitly, as these chemicals are highly toxic (they are developed from nicotine).

If you recoil from using such dangerous chemicals, think about what you do with sodiun hypochlorite every week. Clorox!  Or Draino.  Try mixing the two together.  Be sure your medical insurance is paid up beforehand.  Or spill some brake fluid in a container of swimming pool chlorine. Before you do that, be sure to arrange for a prepaid funeral.

Actuallly, the whole of American culture has become a society of wimps regarding chemicals.  If you don't believe that, look up the most common greenhouse fumigant used in 1945.  It was hydrogen cyanide, the same chemical used in execution gas chambers.

Oh!, for the good old days!... {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;; {:-P;;

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"