Author Topic: Got my wife's goat  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Got my wife's goat
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:01:59 AM »
A pygmy goat that is. He is two weeks old and she will bottle feed him. He will be delivered today. I'll post some pictures later.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Got my wife's goat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »
I can't wait!  @O@
I love Pygmy Goats!  o(:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
Well that is one I won't tell Pete about. He has always wanted one. We can't have farm animals here though. Can't wait for the picture.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
Pics please....

I'm sooo jealous.  I've always wanted a pygmy goat but DH won't let me have one cuz he's afraid he come home and find it standing on top of my car!   lol 
Hey, it's not like we don't have room for a goat.  We have pastures with cattle in them, but he won't make me a place for a goat.  ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:07:19 AM »
This is without a doubt the funniest most entertaining animal that I've ever seen. He was actually born on our anniversary, May 15th so he is only two weeks old. His umbillical chord still is present and drying up but this little critter is so nimble. He jumps up in the air and prances kicking his hooves out to one side then the other. He can jump up onto the deck and when he jumps back down, he doesn't just jump down, he goes way up and gets some serious air. It is the funniest thing to see him do that. The cat Cruella still hasn't figured out what he is but is curious. The dogs love him, Takoda the big male sat guard over him while he took a nap, he had his head on his paws just watching the baby goat sleep. They know that it is a baby and figure that this is just another baby that their momma has rescued and brought home, another member of the family. Takoda licks the babies face.

After watching him jump and prance around, the nam came immediately, Loco. I've seen a lot of kittens and puppies play but watching a baby goat play is a new experience. I'll take pictures today.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
I'm glad you got your little baby goat and would love to see the pictures. Sounds so sweet  :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
We had pygmys years ago when our boys were young.  We had five and decided to breed them one year.  It was so much fun that spring with all the little ones, even had a set of twins, so we ended up with eleven. 

Even though they are short, its amazing how they can jump fences.  Our home was new with lots of nice landscaping that we had so carefully planned.  When they would escape they would put their feet up on the trunks of the small trees and lay them over, stripping all the leaves off.

One time the power company was here.  They finished up their work and left.  A little while later they returned.  One of the goats had gotten in their truck and they discovered it quite a ways down the road.  They also loved climbing up in the UPS truck.  Lots of funny memories. Oh, and the time the concrete guy was here laying our sidewalks.  He finished up the back walk and came around to work on the front.  One of the goats got out and walked in his fresh concrete.  Oh my goodness, did he ever turn the air blue.

Sorry to say they are not the smartest animal, but we still enjoyed ours.  Definitely not like a cat or dog, they seem to be in their own little worlds.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »
Well, after reading that, now I REALLY want to see a picture of one.

I'm too lazy to Google.  So, hurry UP with those pics, BullFrog!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
Oh yeah, and I love their little "sideways eyes"!!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 04:17:18 AM »
Sorry but didn't get to take the pictures yet. I went to three different feed stores looking for the powdered milk substitute and finally found it. He wouldn't eat the canned stuff from Petsmart. I got him goat pellets and sweet oats but he still hasn't identified them as food. He darn sure will eat anything else, even poison ivy, I'm having a hard time getting rid of the stuff. The vine grows underground and it just keeps popping up everywhere. Maybe this is the answer  ;D

He is an eating machine, he is constantly nibbling on dried grass, roots and he loves pine needles. We are going kayaking today but I will post pictures very soon.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 04:36:14 AM »
Bullfrog, I'll bet you'll have better luck finding the powdered milk at a livestock store than a pet store.  I don't know if you have Landmark stores down there or TSC, Farm and Fleet, you'll find about any feed at those stores you want.  :)
LuAnn

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »
I found the powdered milk and he likes it, he is eating very regularly, in fact that about all he does, he is constantly nibbling on something. Hay is scarce as they haven't harvested it yet, it's still in the growing phase right now so I got some Timothy Hay from Petsmart and he likes that too. Here he is and by the way my wife renamed him Clyde so when we get his mate she can be Bonnie... Meet Clyde, his little horns haven't protruded through his hair yet, but they are there..

He doesn't look too happy having to wear his diaper while on our deck, does he?

Momma loves her baby though and he is the biggest crybaby, whenever she goes back into the house he bleats nonstop until she comes back out.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »
"...so when we get his mate...."

Hee hee hee... You're already planning on getting another one! 

He's really adorable.  The pic of him on your wife's lap helps put his small size in perspective.  Say, is that a diaper on the little guy?

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »
awwwwwwwww, he's darling  :) I remember Clyde the camel from that song Ahab the Arab by ? and he said noooooooooooo a lot......excuse me I was just reminiscing  {:-P;; My parents had two little twin goats and boy are you in for some shenanigans from the cute little bugger  ;D They loved them to death tho  o(:-) They had a donkey they rescued also named Sadie from New Mexico I believe.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
"...so when we get his mate...."

Hee hee hee... You're already planning on getting another one! 

None of God's creatures should be alone, they all need a loved one.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:44 AM »
Very cute.  I'm sure it's an adventure diapering a goat  lol  I want video!  lol  lol  lol

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
The more I'm around this critter the more that I learn. They are herd animals, it is imprinted and hardwired into their DNA from day one. If anyone leaves the area, a part of the herd is gone and is in possible danger. We were at the neighbor's house yesterday evening and when Dacid went into the house, Clyde began to bleat very loudly, he also does it when I leave. It's amazing what God has put into animals minds, some call it insticnt but whatever it is it is defineitley a blueprint of survival.

He is only two weeks old but when Nahi the female dog annoys him, he butts him with his back hooves and butts him with his small horns. Such an amazing survival insticnt for such a young animal. I have no doubt that he will be able to take his place in the pecking order that we call our family, this menagerie of animals.

What a world...

Bullfrog.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"