Author Topic: green water, Help please!  (Read 1668 times)

Offline LynnKLea

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
green water, Help please!
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
    We installed a pond in that is 14'x20' x 28" deep and holds 4500 gallons of water, with a 3' high waterfall that flows into a 15' stream. It has a "PS4500 Atlantic Water Gardens Skimmer with 8" Opening, and a  BF1500 Atlantic Water Gardens Up Flow Bio Filter with 19" Weir" that is run with a "CalPump PW4500 High Capacity Waterfall Pump".
    On May 5th when we filled it with water, we then added the proper amount of Beneficial Bacteria per label directions.  The water was clear at the onset,  already now it is beginning to look like "pea soup".  We have (13) 10" and (6) 5" goldfish, along with 12 Water Hyacinth, 3 water mint,  6 Water lettuce  (I have looked every where within a 60 mile radius for Fairy moss or any other floaters without any success),  1 Lotus, 5 water lilies that only have 4 to 6 small pads floating on the top of the water. There are also several other plants on the shelf. We put 12 bunches of Parrots Feather & 12 bunches of Anarachis in the pond. It is in the sun all day and afternoon until 7pm.
     My question is: How long does it take the pond water to balance out so it will be clear enough to actually see the fish & plants again?  Does anyone have any ideas of what  else I can do to improve the water clarity? 
    I will thank you in advance for any advice you can give this novice water gardener!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: green water, Help please!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:46 AM »
I'm sure you'll get better answers from others, but it's really a waiting game.  For my ponds, this is the first year I've actually not had green water.   @O@  Yours is still in the new pond cycling stage.  Trust me, it will happen.  If you're really in a rush and have the cash (like I didn't), you can look into a UV to clear it up.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
Patience.  It will eventually clear & once the lilies start covering the water surface more that will help.  If you have a way to put polyester quilt batting under some return water, that will filter out fine debris.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19:47 AM »
This is completely normal for a new pond, especially one that has fish in it already. Patience is the key.

Depending on where you live, it may not be warm enough yet for tropical plants to grow, most of the floaters are tropical.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
Lynn,

Don't panic, everything is fine. The green water is a natural step to get the water balanced with the right nutrients and minerals. The whole process from filling to clear water usually takes almost 6 weeks. But with the addition of the good bacteria, you may come closer to 3-4 weeks. I all depends on temp, fish, feeding and plants. The pond will be clear right off, then cloudy green, then almost a thick green, then green brown, then a cloudy green brown, then clear brown tint and then clear as the water is replaced and cleaned by the plants and filter.

The fish are fine. They like the green water. It makes them feel safe. The only reason we want it clear is for the 'humans' to see the fish.

Keep feeding the fish normally, just keep it to a minimum. Don't over do it, not in the beginning.

What ever you do, do not drain the pond and refill to clear the water - or your waiting time starts all over again.

Cheers,

Jeff ;)

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »
You are doing fine. The rule of thumb is 6 weeks or 42 days which ever comes first.  ;)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 11:54:56 AM »
I have never had pea soup and have had a pond for about 8 years now. Maybe I'm stupid but I don't like it and am willing to work hard to avoid it. So I put a layer of filter media in a two curved planters and sit them in the two drops of my waterfall. I have also put a mesh basket with filter media in the top of the bio filter or if you don't have any extra, use quilt batting. The batting doesn't hold together to the rinsing like the filter media does.  But no matter where you put it, keep a watchful eye on your water flow as it could divert your flow and empty the pond. I have put extra layers in front of the skimmer and inside too. I WILL NOT HAVE PEA SOUP!!! I have rinsed my filter media a couple of times a day for a couple days but I get that water clear at least.

On the other hand, I do struggle with string algae. I'm not big on chemicals so keep scooping and love the clear water that usually accompanies SA. I know, Koi Clay or kitty litter. I used Koi clay for years and am not convinced. Maybe I didn't put in enough or something and eventually stopped putting it in. Yup, used barley straw for years too but am not convinced about it either. I guess I just keep struggling.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »
I agree esther.. I have never had green water and hope I dont but  I am battling string algae horribly this year.  I think my problem and what is so different this year is a combination of things.  Cold/cloudy so the lillies didnt cover the pond quickly enuff then bang summer weather overnight  and then I also devided a few of my bigger/ earlier big spreading lilies.  I will never devided this early again and ruin what coverage I did have.  I am just now starting to get some lilly coverage.  The string algae I could compost the whole garden in it.  I have to stay on top of it daily, which I am finding very annoying

tink
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:07:45 PM by tinkster »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
I've only had it once, when a forum friend was coming to visit  :D . I pulled up too much anacharis that fall and had the greens for two weeks the next spring.

My greenhouse pond wants to turn green because I keep cleaning it out so I use Microbe Lifts black dye in it. I've got black dye in the column water feature too because we just drained it to finish up the plumbing and there are no plants.

The little ponds are crystal clear. You can see all the tadpoles and water insects but they don't photograph easily.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Amy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
I am pretty much an amature at the pond stuff but I can offer what I have discovered about green water! We just got our pond in the last week of March. Our water was crystal clear from the get go.....until the sun started coming out everyday it seemed! At this time our water greened up and you could not see the bottom or anything, barely even the fish. We may have jumped the gun since our pond was so new and unestablished but we got a UV steralizer and our water was crystal clear in a day and a half! My sister has a pond also and SWEARS by the live bacteria for hers....guess I am just impatient! But like I said I am fairly new to this and more experienced people may disagree so in that case listen to them! LOL.....but I just thought I would respond since the UV clarifier cleared it up so fast in mine. :) Good luck!

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
 I built my pond in May of last year. I went through the green water fiasco and did not heed the warnings of the ponders on the site. I drained, cleaned and refilled. I then had clear water only to turn green again. This time I left it alone and finally had semi-clear water till the end of the season. I live in a wintery climate and the pond became crystal clear in the winter. Spring time came and the water was still clear. String/Hair algea appeared. I wanted so bad to break down the pond but held off and listened to the ponders on here this time. I added my spring microblift to dose and now have zero string algea without doing any cleaning. I also have a clear pond to which I can see the bottom and all fish. No chemicals/ no cleaning & happy ponder.

These people on here know what they are talking about. Alot of them have experienced your problems and offer advice. It is in your best interest to sort through the replies you receive and weigh experience when determining a reaction on your part. I learned the hard way last year that I should have left my pond be while waiting through the ponders blues (greens).

Good luck and be patient.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
The EXPERT on green water is Norm Meck.  See http://www.koiquest.co.uk/GRENH2O2.pdf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"