Author Topic: UV Pressure Filters  (Read 1920 times)

Offline oldgeezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
UV Pressure Filters
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:18:59 AM »
Is there such a thing as a pressure filter that will remove pond sludge and successfully expel through the backwashing system? I went from a gravity Tetra Pond to a Fish Mate 3000 and seem to have created more work for myself.

Offline Billy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://cascade-pond-supply.com
Re: UV Pressure Filters
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
I would think a settling chamber before a bead filter is what you need.
Vice President Oregon Koi & Water Garden Society
http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com

Offline Camper Man

• Members
  • Pond Curator
  • With us since: 18/04/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:49:04 PM »
C'mon, I'm interested in hearing this answer, too.  Anyone who owns a pressurized filter by Tetra, Laguna, Oase or Pondmaster (those seem to be the leading brands) -- how well does the backflush system work?

Oldgeezer: What don't you like about the Fishmate?

I'm ready to upgrade to a pressurized system. But I'm not prepared to spend $1K or $2K for a bead system.

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 04:36:17 AM »
I used the Pondmaster Filter with a UV for a few years on my horse trough.  The backwash didn't work for me and the only way I could clean it was to open it up.  That was a real pain though because I couldn't get it closed again without some leaking.  So I switched to the Nexus Eazy Pod.  It can be plumbed to be either gravity fed or pump fed but it isn't really a pressurized filter like the Pondmaster though since it is either gravity in or gravity out of the filter.  It is a little more expensive but much easier to clean and a better filter, IMO.
Jim

Offline oldgeezer

• Members
  • With us since: 15/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 02:13:50 PM »
The Fishmate doesn't purge sludge despite frequent backwashes and therefor is quickly overwhelmed. Disassembly and pressure cleaning takes about as much time as is required with a manual system. It seems to me that if a pressure system can't handle sludge, it's of little value, analgous to a car that can't go uphill. That Fish Place has agreed to replace it with a Pondmaster 2000 which claims to rid itself of 90% of the debris We'll find out. 

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »
I have never heard of a ponder with any size pond that has been happy in the long run with the small pressurized filters. 

I LOVE my Bio-Wave made by Wlim, but it was not cheap.  However it cleans easily. 

Mary

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »
I've successfully used a pressure filter with an integral 13W UV made by Jebao that is rated at 7000 gallon (who knows where they get these ratings from?) for my 450 gallon pond with a 20 foot long stream supplied by a 900 gal/hr pump. The filter is partially buried to be less obtrusive. While it is not the "self cleaning" variety which is probably a good thing as I haven't heard that many that claim they are, do not work well - it only takes 30 minutes every 3 to 4 weeks to rinse the filter elements. My fish load is fairly low with 15 goldfish all under 5 inches in length. Approximately 1/3 of the pond has plant cover (lilies) along with parrot's feather. The filter keeps the pond cystal clear and free of suspended algae with the UV. I use no chemicals other than dechlor for water chnges & a bacterial additive at spring startup. This is my third season with the filter and I can honestly say that I am impressed with it's performance. Prior to it's installation I frequently had murky water especially after heavy rain  :raining: & associated run-off issues and season long algae blooms. Our pond season here is short - 4 to 5 months tops so waiting several months for a pond to cycle isn't an option if you want to enjoy your fish before the snow starts to fall again.

I think the key here is to do proper maintenance to remove as much debris as possible to reduce the filter load and buy the biggest filter practical. This particular one is approximately 15" in diameter and 24" deep. I don't think there is such a thing as a filter that is too big - it will reduce the need for more frequent cleaning and the reduced water flow will result in more efficient filtering & UV action.

Happy ponding!  o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"