Author Topic: Grieving  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Grieving
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
I had to put my dear Kelsey down yesterday morning.  :'( :'(  She had a major stroke, and both right legs were affected as well as the left side of her face.  Needless to say she could not walk, so putting her down was the best thing for her.  I cried my eyes out yesterday, as this was the first time I had ever had to do this.  She was 17 years, 4 months and 5 days old.  She is my precious baby girl. :'( :'(  I arranged to have her cremated, and her ashed returned to me.  I got to pick out the urn her ashes will be put into.  I chose cremation so that I'll always have her with me.  She is the first dog that was 'my dog' and not the 'family dog'.

Here's a picture of her a few years back, when she was in her prime.  Her AKC registered name is Ladee Cercis-Redbud Kelsey.  Her mom's name was Ladee Bud Simone and her dad's name was Roscoe Red Rueben, so I combined the Red and the Bud from her parents and came up with Redbud and the Genus of the redbud tree is cercis.  Funny how I remembered all this after 17+ years, but I guess she was that important to me.

I miss you Kels. :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:25:48 PM by Brian »
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Grieving
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:19:08 PM »
Awwww Brian. So sorry to hear about Kelsey. She's just as cute as her name. It's gonna be kinda hard around your house for a while because you'll think you hear her now and then and then realize it's something else.

Offline Brian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:21:56 PM »
Thank you Esther.  I've got two other dogs and a great group of friends (including this forum) to help comfort me through this time.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »
I feel for you.  so hard to take, but life goes on! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
I know what you're going through. We have had to put 3 basset hounds down in the last 10 years.
All of them were "rescue" dogs that the original owners didn't want anymore for various reasons.
I'm tearing up just trying to type this.
 I am sorry for your loss
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »
Sorry, Brian.  You took such good care of Kelsey and she knew it.  You were both fortunate to have each other.  It will take time to heal the loss.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:48:48 PM »
Grief absorbing hugs....  :hug:   :hug:    :hug:
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
So sorry Brian. I think we have all been there and know how you feel. It hurts and it hurts badly. I had to put our dog down of 15 years  10 years ago and I still tear up to think about her (and writing this)   HUGS to you.  :hug:

Offline Billy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • http://cascade-pond-supply.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Brian. I've been there many many time in my 67 years here and it doesn't get any easier to see them go.
Vice President Oregon Koi & Water Garden Society
http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss of your darling Kelsey.  What a sweet face she has.  Our animals make our lives richer for having known them, and they teach us many things we would never learn without them.  Praying for your heart to heal and to remember her with smiles instead of pain.  o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:08:54 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your Kelsey. She was beautiful. We have been through it too and it's always very hard to say goodbye to our pets. They are part important members of the family.
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 07:40:40 PM »
Brain,
  Everyone else has spoken my words. I have been there more times than I care to think of so know how sad this time is. Kelsey had 17 yrs. with a great owner, anyone who keeps a dog for it's entire life has to be great. Too many people get them then decide after several years that they can't or don't want them anymore. It's such a comfort to 'meet' someone who doesn't think that way. We have pets for life in our home too.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 04:59:53 AM »
Dogs do become a member of the family. My friends at work gigged me pretty good yesterday when I told them my wife got a new goat. We already have 4 dogs, 4 cats and a lizard. I told them she never had kids and these are her kids. Besides, animals never lie and are always your best friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »
I'm sorry for you and your baby girl.  Not to take over, but I just went and got my dog's cremains back yesterday.  While I was so very happy to have him home again, it was also like day 1 all over again.  What I guess I'm trying to say is that I can really relate, and if you need to talk, please send me a PM.  Hugs to you.  :hug:

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:43:01 AM »
So sorry  :'( :'( :'(
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:33:54 AM »
I am sorry for your loss. I had to put my 16 yr old Peaches and my 14 yr K.C.Chief to sleep last year. Both were very sick. I loved them dearly. Now I have 3  boxes of ashes on my nightstand. All are in little wooden boxes with their pictures. We plan to have them burried with us. May God give you peace at this difficult time.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »
It is always hard to lose a loved one, furkid or human.   :'(  Sending you lots of cyber hugs.

Kuan

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
Awh, she looks like a sweet and loyal friend.  I'm glad you got to have so many years with her, and that she had such a wonderful home.

It was exactly a year ago that my dear cat, Marley, was dying (kidney failure) and I had her put to sleep the first day of June.  Even with the two new kittens so precious to me now, I sill miss my old cat, and this time of year is hard. 

Say, maybe you can plant a redbud tree in your dog's memory!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »
So very sorry Brian  :'( :'(  A redbud in her honor would be a nice tribute to a loving friend.  :hug:
Kay

Offline Brian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »
Julles and Kay,

Back in 2006, Joyce had recommended to someone a weeping redbud tree.  I asked Joyce about the specific genus and species so that I could find it when the time came of Kelsey's death.  She replied back that the weeping tree is Lavender Twist Redbud, aka Cercis canadensis 'Covey'.

Now I just have to figure out where to get it. 

Thank you all for your kind words and support!  I really appreciate it.

Esther, when you mentioned that I would hear her...well this morning, both dogs were with me, and I could have sworn I heard Kelsey in the kitchen getting a drink.
Cath, of the two remaining dogs, one is from a rescue agency and the other from a friend at work who could not handle her.  I do believe in life-long comittments.
LuAnn, yes Kelsey has taught me many things.  One thing in particular is when she was young, she tended to roam the neighborhood if she slipped out of the house without a leash and it often took 30-45 minutes to 'catch' her.  One time after chasing after her for quite a while I was becoming panic stricken (we lived near a busy road) and it dawned on me that maybe God feels a little like I did at the moment when I stray and run from Him.  It put a lot of things in my life into perspective.

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 11:02:11 AM »
Very sorry to hear that you lost your dear friend and I have been through it too. It is hard and I always think about my wonderful dog "Zeke" every now and then and it's been 15yrs now. We walked everyday and I miss him dearly. Someday I hope to see him again  :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
So sorry to hear this Brian.
I'm sure you will miss her, but glad to hear that you have other dogs to keep you company.
They, too, will miss her. o(:-)

Karen

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
I'm so sorry Brian. I've been there way too many times myself and I'll be there way too many times again. :'(
It never gets easier.
I've also had my pets cremated for years now. You always know where they are and you can always decide what you want to do with the ashes when it feels right.
You will not only swear you hear them but on occassion you will also swear that you see them too. I've had that happen. I've also had dogs that would touch me in certain ways that I would swear I felt it again, even years down the road. I always look at it that it is their way of letting you know they are o.k. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
Biran, I'll keep my eye out for a small Lavender Twist Redbud tree, small enough to ship.  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 06:42:01 PM »
I'm sorry for the loss of your loving friend and companion.  It is never easy.  I have the cremains of 2 dogs and a cat.  I couldn't think of doing anything else but bringing them back home.  Some say we will see them again in heaven.  I sure hope so.  My sincerest condolences to you.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Brian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 05:49:28 PM »
Awww Joyce, that is so kind of you!!!  I'll keep my eye out this fall as well.

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 07:38:14 AM »
Brian , I know exactly how you feel. Having had the same loss a couple years ago. Maybe after your grieving has subsided you will be able to get another Best Friend.  :)
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »
I am very sorry for your loss...I lost my favorite cat last Thanksgiving to a stroke that left him completely paralysed and unable to do anything but breathe; couldn't even blink.  It was very traumatic and we still re-live it without warning. 

I have a Redbud tree that seeds every year.  It has pink flowers on bare branches here in Florida in the months of Jan/Feb before the leaves appear.  If you are interested I can mail you some seeds, its just that it will take much longer to grow your tree that way.  Send me a PM if you still want some seeds.

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"