Author Topic: Anyone Have Hardy Water Lotus Seeds????  (Read 1296 times)

Offline garden guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Anyone Have Hardy Water Lotus Seeds????
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Hi Gang
Anyone have any hardy water lotus seeds. I can offer to pay postage as I am new and have nothing to trade. Anyone out there help me out???
Thanks all
Gary
Nova Scotia o(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:22:10 PM by garden guy »

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Have Hardy Water Lotus Seeds????
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 08:26:29 AM »
Do you want lotus or Lilly seeds?   I have nelumbo lutea and nelumbo nucifera seeds.   I doubt that they would do very good as far north as you are but lutea would be best.   Flowers well in zone 6

Offline garden guy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:38:22 AM »
Hi there
I am in zone 5-b......they tell me that "most" hardy water lotus will grow here if it is placed in the deep part of the pond over the winter months. What is your opinion?
Thanks for replying
Take care
Gary o(

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:18:19 PM »
If the nelumbo lutea is the yellow american lotus seen growing wild, I would love some if you have any left.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »
Yes Missa it is.  I collected the seeds from Greenbottom wildlife management area on the Ohio river in WV.           
       I have about a pint of them. I also have about a half pint of what I think from looking at it is nelumbo nucifera seed from a swamp in proctorville Ohio. Beautiful pink.  They are super easy to sprout and grow, just file the outer coat, put them in water and there they go.
       I could send you some, I just don't know when I'll be in town to mail them off. PM. me your address and i'll send them off as soon as I can.
        Have you ever seen the proctorville lotus Tinkster?  Right after you go across the cable suspended bridge from east Huntington to Proctorville  If you take the exit and turn rt. at the first road you come to that goes down river under the bridge you were just on and look on the rt. as soon as you go under the bridge.  There's very little or no open water just a swampy area where they grow a few hundred feet from the road.                           
       You know way more than I do about lotus.  Eventually I will grow some.
       I want to try crossing the two I have. See what comes out of it.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 06:58:42 PM »
this year is my last attempt at lotus unless I try from seed?  I am zone 5, and I didn't know there was such a thing as a "hardy" lotus??  I am queen of the lotus killers  ::)  I've bought 7 lotus and so far it looks like I've managed to not kill 2  :P  So this is probably my last attempt at them.  Now to see if I can ever get a bloom...
Mary

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »
Yes Missa it is.  I collected the seeds from Greenbottom wildlife management area on the Ohio river in WV.           
       I have about a pint of them. I also have about a half pint of what I think from looking at it is nelumbo nucifera seed from a swamp in proctorville Ohio. Beautiful pink.  They are super easy to sprout and grow, just file the outer coat, put them in water and there they go.
       I could send you some, I just don't know when I'll be in town to mail them off. PM. me your address and i'll send them off as soon as I can.
        Have you ever seen the proctorville lotus Tinkster?  Right after you go across the cable suspended bridge from east Huntington to Proctorville  If you take the exit and turn rt. at the first road you come to that goes down river under the bridge you were just on and look on the rt. as soon as you go under the bridge.  There's very little or no open water just a swampy area where they grow a few hundred feet from the road.                           
       You know way more than I do about lotus.  Eventually I will grow some.
       I want to try crossing the two I have. See what comes out of it.

Awesome, thanks.

I see some in a town about 20 minutes from here, we pass em all the time ... I just can't get to them.  Especially now that they've been cutting down trees & stuff in the ditches near where they are.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"