Author Topic: Black Comet  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Sonny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Black Comet
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »
I went to the local fish store today to buy some blood worms and I stopped by their goldfish section.  Usually they don't have anything that I'm interested in but today they had a tank with four comets in it.  They said someone had brought them in from their pond about six weeks ago and that they were going to a big aquarium at a local furniture store (Gallery Furniture).  I said "too bad because I would love to have a black comet like that".  I had never seen one that color in person before.  Well, he went back to double check and the manager said they were tired of waiting for the other folks to come pick them up and I could buy them if I wanted.  So I feel very lucky to have got this black comet.  It's about thirteen inches from tip to tip.  It's not really black but sort of olive/blue/black/?.

Here's a pic from the tank at the store:

And here are a few more after he got to my house:

Jim

Offline newbieincaliprincess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Black Comet
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »
 @O@ LUCKY!!!! CONGRATS!!! I would be singing for joy right now!!! What a black beauty!  o(:-) 8-)~ O0

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
Beautiful Sonny!  Do you think he will stay that way?  Mine sometimes start out like that then turn orange or white.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
Beautiful Sonny!  Do you think he will stay that way?  Mine sometimes start out like that then turn orange or white.

I sure hope it stays that color.  It's old enough to where I would hope the color is permanent.  Although I understand there is a chance for water conditions to affect it.  If you look closely in some of the pics you can see an orange hue, almost as if the skin under the scales is orange.

I've always liked Chagoi (a type of solid colored koi) and this is a good substitute for my bonsai koi pond (aka goldfish pond).  :)
Jim

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »
Nice fish!

I have 4 solid black goldfish - all black midnight blue shubunkins without any blue or white.  I usually can only see them when the sun is shining bright.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:46:49 PM »
Nice fish!

I have 4 solid black goldfish - all black midnight blue shubunkins without any blue or white.  I usually can only see them when the sun is shining bright.

Thanks Reedman...  would love to see pics of your black fish.  I'm curious about them since they are rare in my experience.
Jim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Very big pretty fish! 

I too have a black shub and it would have gone to the turtles except it has beautiful long flowing fins.

Offline Sonny

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »
Very big pretty fish! 

I too have a black shub and it would have gone to the turtles except it has beautiful long flowing fins.
Thanks Annette!

Got pics of your black fish?   o(
Jim

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
I'll try to take some pics, but it is supposed to be rainy here in southcentral PA for days.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:35:31 PM »
I've got a darkish colored comet also but it's only about 3 or 4 inches so it could change but I hope not. Geez, I hope mine gets that big. He's beautiful.

Offline knight7453

• Members
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:45:54 AM »
I have 2 that are that color that were born in my pond 11 years ago and have grown to about a foot. I figured they crossed with a common gold fish that has lived in my pond for the last 14 years that my daughter won at a carnival that she named “Lucky” and my comets. I don’t even talk about them much since they are difficult to see and when kids look at my pond I refer to them as the phantom fish.
Unfortunately they stay on the bottom of the pond and seem to only feed on the bottom and only occasional come to the top.
Their shy behavior is probably the reason they survived.
o(

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
Awesome fish Jim!   o(
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »
I love that fish.

Mine is a home bred cross 4 years old.  Found in with the fantails when they were kept seperate.  It and a nice longtailed goldie were my first surviving fry.

There is another 3 year old with a more coppery undertone.  I have had a lot stay dark.  It would be interesting to try to breed them in a seperate tank just to see what happens.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"