Author Topic: Trees around pond  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Trees around pond
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »
A small mimosa tree is growing near where my pond is going to be. I know it will drop it's pink flowers in the pond but thats what the skimmer is for. There is also a small tree to the east that I could remove and a very large oak to the west that has to stay. From what I've gathered here, a lot of sunlight causes more algae growth and shade is good. Should I leave the two small trees and just net and clean the skimmer more oftn or cut them down?

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Trees around pond
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
Shade is not great for most water plants. I have a beech tree prob 30 feet away from my pond( to the southwest) so far has not shaded the pond . It is growing tho, has a huge spread. Always scooping those leaves out. So far so good.
If you want lillies you must have good sun exposure.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
I had a problem with green water.  Until I ran wires overhead, above the pond, and trained bower (bauer?) vine (it's evergreen, but does drop its pale pink blooms) to grow on the wires.  No more green water.  Lilies grow fine.  I make sure there is space between the wires and leaves so sunlight can hit the lilies and the bog filter.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
Bulfrog,

Mimosas are trash trees not native to the US.   They are short lived, but grow extremly fast.  Best situation for a water garden with water lilies, etc is no trees at all, since shade will prevent blooming of the lilies and the annual dump of leaves will be a constant maintenance problem.  I'd dump the oak as well or at least build another pond away from the trees.  You could grow water hawthorn in a shady pool and it will bloom.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
Bulfrog,

Mimosas are trash trees not native to the US.   They are short lived, but grow extremly fast.  Best situation for a water garden with water lilies, etc is no trees at all, since shade will prevent blooming of the lilies and the annual dump of leaves will be a constant maintenance problem.  I'd dump the oak as well or at least build another pond away from the trees.  You could grow water hawthorn in a shady pool and it will bloom.
Yep what Johns said  (8:-) (8:-)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"