Author Topic: Finished my floating plant hoop  (Read 805 times)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Finished my floating plant hoop
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:56:14 PM »
I finished my floating plant hoop and put netting all around it underneath and attached it with fishing line (that was a lot of work) and put the floating plants in and it does keep the plants in there but it doesn't stop certain little goldfish........whom I won't mention their names from either jumping or squirming their way in there over the top. So far there has only been two of the little buggers and they are easy to get out but hey I give them some of the floating plants to play in and eat in the pond so I think that they could give me a break eh? It's like they are letting me know that there isn't anything that I can do to their pond that they can't figure a way around.  >:(-

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Finished my floating plant hoop
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:58:01 PM »
It looks nice.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Amy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:18:48 PM »
I would love to make one of those! Great job, what did you use for the hoop?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »
Looks great in your pond!   O0

I did something similar for floaters too, with lots of plastic ties and bird netting.  Small fish got tangled in the netting.  Luckily I found them in time before they scaled themselves  :o

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »
I made a hoop for my WH's. It works well. Now if only the goldfish would leave the WH's in there. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »
For the hoop I just used hard thick black tubing I found and it's about 1&1/2" or 2" in diameter (I think you could buy it at Lowes or Home Depot. I used a connector that I had to hook them together (so it stays tight so no water can seep in) but you can buy them at Lowes also. For the netting I bought black fiberglass screen door material (cost about $7.). I sewed the netting on with heavy fish line and made sure there was a bowl shape to it while I sewed it on. It was easy to do but time consuming. I had to throw some rocks into the net after I put it into the pond so the screen would stay down under the water. No fish can swim through the screen door material as the holes are too small except maybe tiny little baby fish when first hatched but that would be a good place for them to escape the other fish if they did go into it.
Now if the goldfish just stop jumping or sliding over into it all would be fine.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"