Author Topic: old bath tub - new water garden?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Missy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
old bath tub - new water garden?
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:00:06 PM »
I have a friend who has always loved my water garden. She would like to make a small one in an old galvanized porcelain-coated clawfoot bathtub. I think it's a great idea, and I'd like to help her. She also wants a little waterfall in it so she can hear the water moving from her bedroom window.
Can anyone give me some ideas? Would she be able to have a few goldies in a bathtub pond? How about lilies-I'm thinking a couple of the smaller, or even mini, varieties? And how would you do a marginal area in a tub?
Also would it be better to paint the inside of the tub a dark color-would that help with algae control? What sort of paint would you use for that?
If anyone has any ideas and/or pictures of a project like this, I sure would love to see them!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:06:38 PM by Missy »

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: old bath tub - new water garden?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
I think it's a cute idea!

Don't paint it - there will be dark green algae all over the insides soon enough.

A fountain made out of a water spigot would be cute.  You can buy these in catalogues, or other places.  I would be afraid of leaks, though, so would want it inside the tub.  Alternately, you could use a small half-whiskey barrel, and let water spill over the edge down into the tub.  You don't need a lot of sound - just a little is more soothing than a big crash.

You can have marginal plants by standing their pots on top of an strawberry pot or a milk crate, so they are mostly out of water.  Floating or underwater plants, too (hornwort, anachras, water lettuce, water hyacinth, duckweed).

A few goldfish (like, 3) would be fine, even without filtration or air.  The plants will filter the water a little, and also add air. 

You just have to figure out how to stop the bottom drain, so it doesn't leak.  Say, if you left is useable, your friend would be able to drain and clean the tub/pond easily.

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »
We did this.
We found an old claw foot tub, got the type of faucet that went with them & put it in upside down ... hooked a pump to it & had the water shoot out it. It worked great.

We had lilies, some other plants raised on bricks & goldfish.

This year we took the pump out & just have some lilies, floaters (azolla & duckweed), a betta, couple minnows & some rescued tadpoles.
Two of the lilies actually did their first bloom today.
Working out pretty good.

This was early on getting it set up ... we used a box filter.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:02 PM »
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4159.0
joey on our forum has his done here is his picture.. its adorable!

tink

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Missy,

I think that would be a great idea and look really good.  I actually have an old tub, no claw feat, I got off of freecycle that I have in my yard.  Wasn't sure how to plug the drain hole and wasn't going to have any filtration, etc.  I put a liner in it and potted up Calla Lily, Canna, Pickerel Rush and another plant I can't think of the name right now.  It looks pretty good I think.  I would post a picture, but just got this laptop computer and don't have any of my pic's on it yet.  I think anything that holds water will work and look great!!!!!

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:44:29 AM »
Harbor Freight makes a half whiskey barrel with an old time looking spout like Julles was talking about complete with the pump for very little money. You can just plug the drain with silicone layed down with a caulking gun, I think it would look great.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:58:28 AM »
When we redid the bathroom this spring...the guys hauled off the tub immediately...afraid I'd plant something in it.  It wasn't a clawfoot though.

Some Snowflake would look nice in a small water garden...Blooms quite nicely too.  I lost mine or I'd share.  Lawanna probably has some for sale.  That is where I got mine.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »
I've seen pictures of the clawfoot tubs set up with a shower head plumbed to serve as a fountain.
Just don't make it as tall as a regular shower head would be. I've seen someone take one of the really large round flat shower heads and
attach metal petals to the back of it to make it look like a big sunflower.
Here are a few pics of tub ponds I've saved when I've come across them.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »
Several years ago I saw a pic of a three piece bathroom complete with a window hanging from a tree branch in a persons yard/woody area.  It was really cute with plants in all pieces and a pond in the tub.  I can't find it now though.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
Like Desert Ponder said, don't make the fountain squirt from too high above... you don't want water splashing out - even a little here and there will eventually drain the pond.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"