Author Topic: To amputate or not?  (Read 729 times)

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
To amputate or not?
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:41:59 PM »
In May of 2007 during a koi pond redo and new separate lily pond, I lifted a 20” diameter 9” high hole-less pot of Charlene Strawn and put it under a tree for what was to be a 2 week project.  Hahaha. I kept the container wet but no water was over it.  It never the less produced tiny pads on short stems. (No blooms.) I stored it in the garage for that winter, took it back out in May of 2008 where it again produced small pads, then back to the garage last winter. This spring a raccoon got in the garage and munched the tubers – it was certainly dead now. So I dumped the pot in the shade next to the pump house a month ago until I could clean it out to use for the new lilies arriving from you wonderful forum members.

Well darn if that bugger didn’t live through two pondless years and a raccoon gnawing. There are three clumps of small pads… and now there’s a lily pond to put them in.  @O@

Question: would this clump be happier if I cut off the 'arms' and discarded the dead middle? Or should I plant it the way it is?

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: To amputate or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »
I'm no expert .... far from it actually ... but since it's a hardy (right?) I, personally, would cut the (dead?) middle out & replant the two 'arms'.
Have 2 water lilies.

That's just what I would do ... it may be the wrong thing, I don't know.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »
Divide it. It won't hurt it at all. Just be sure to fertilize it.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »
Divide it.  You're gonna have to do that eventually, anyway, so might as well do it now.  And you do want to get the dead part off, so it doesn't rot and contaminate the pot.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"