Author Topic: how do you get rid of this  (Read 2047 times)

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
how do you get rid of this
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:35:07 PM »
 I have my son scoop it out and this algae keeps coming back I cant seem to get rid of it  >:(-

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: how do you get rid of this
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:09:16 PM »
Way back when I had the same problem.  Got a better filtration/pump and used Microbe Lift (I think they better pay me for mentioning them so often  {:-P;; ) and some shade.

You may have too much waste from fish and/or decayed leaves or too much sun heating up the water = great growing conditions for algae.

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »
Does this appear in the afternoon and go away at night?
Bryan

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »
I think it has to do with a pump. When my pump broke down, that's what happened to my pond.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline RWinn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
Bearb it does it shows up about the time the sun hits it then goes away sometime at night

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »
I think I am having the same problem. . . I was logging on to ask about it and saw your question. I have never had this type of algae before. I tried to just skim it up with a fine net but it is so small it passes through. The net does break it up a bit and I notice thousands of tiny  bubbles. I think it is giving off oxygen during sunlight hours and making itself buoyant, then over night it sinks back down. I was gong to wait until it is at its most abundant stage then shop vac it, but my fish are very friendly and I fear they would get sucked up. Hopefully someone will come along with advice.

I don't know if this info is helpful or not but just in case:
New pond (7 weeks) water still green
500 gal
Skippy type filter aerated (well established media from previous pond)
Some of the plants were fertilized with the time release fert (not osmocote but similar)
No skimmer
Bryan

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:52:19 AM »
I think if you had a skimmer this would not be a problem. I usually experience this type of algae in the earily spring before starting the system up. When I do I start up the air pump that I use for keeping the hole open in the ice and it goes away. Hope this helps.

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 08:01:16 AM »
Yeah I kinda wish I had put in a skimmer. The pond is only 9.5 by 7 and I can easily run a net across it in the afternoon. I had never had this problem before or I would have done things differently.

Interesting about the air pump. What do you think is happening that makes this effective? It sounds like once it balances itself this will go away.?.
Bryan

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
Kitty litter (clay Bentonite) Special Kitty brand at Wal-mart for $2.59 for 25 lbs works for me. I just put it in a sock (about a quart or so), tie it at the top, put it under the waterfall and voila mine has disappeared. You have to keep cleaning the filter out tho as it builds up in there fast as it's dying. Also skimming the bottom of pond of the dying stuff helps too. I am just keeping the kitty litter in there now to help keep it away also. It seems to work on the string algae and that gunky floating type also.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »
I have the same problem...keep scooping it out whenever I get the chance.  I have too much sun, but I thought that was good for lilies... ?)(?
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
I'm going to tell you what I did when this mystery sludge showed up in my pond this year.  I saw  all the bubbles and stuck my hand on the liner, rubbing my hand along it.  The algae instantly let go and started to float.  I was unsure if this was bad or good gook, so I watched it for a few days and noticed the up and down motion it has during the day/night.  After a while I was feeling froggy, so I got into my pond and rubbed as much of it as possible so it'd float up.  I grabbed it out, mostly with my hands *ugh - just like snot* because it'd go thru nets.  As I got it off the liner and off the top of the water it disappeared, that is unless I missed a bit.  I figured, ah, it's a pond - who cares about a little goo? and left it alone.  As time went on it became a strand until it reached the top of the water.  I think it's some sort of string algae in it's early stages.  First the bubbly stuff on the liner, then the goo on top of the water, then the string algae.  So- I just suggest removing as much manually as possible, but try to get all of what you knock loose.  I think it's like some weed grasses where each piece you break off becomes a new plant.  Also, when you get the most you can out, do kitty litter.  It really helps.  Skim, skim, skim and clay, clay, clay!  Hope that doesn't confuse you more.

Offline RWinn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
I have put about 20 pounds of kitty litter in the last 2 weeks but it is  hard to tell with me being away for a week at a time

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »
I put some kitty litter in my net and set it in the waterfall Saturday afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, there was significantly less of this mess floating up. I Will see what it looks like when I get home today. It appears to be working, wish I knew why.

Thanks all.
Bryan

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:42 AM »
It absorbs the extra nutrients in the water that the algae uses for food.
No algae food = no algae.  O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
Thanks Joyce, but why does it have no effect on suspended algae?
Bryan

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »
Give it time, and keep on replenishing the kitty litter because it will get 'used' up: will soak up all it can.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Wow that was a fast response. . . I guess I ASSUMED it would not work for suspended algae because I have never heard anyone recommend it for that. . . This new pond green water cycle is taking longer than I expected; I'll keep up with the kitty litter and report back next week (in case anyone is interested).

Update 6-29-09:

I kept a net of litter in the falls for most of last week. The last of the rising "scum" had disappeared.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:17:43 AM by Bearb »
Bryan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"