Author Topic: Never pick up a baby mockingbird  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Never pick up a baby mockingbird
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »
I was leaving work and a small baby mockingbird was near my truck. It still had down on it and couldn't fly yet. It ran behind my rear tire and I was afraid I would hit it so I decided to catch it and take it home to raise, my wife does this a lot. I bent down and mangaged to catch it by one leg and it started crying out very loudly. The momma mockingbird attacked me from a tree. This is the second time this has happened, the first time it was a wren. If you've never seen a grown man run from a four ounce bird, it is a sight.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Never pick up a baby mockingbird
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »
Now come on, Bullfrog - How long have you lived in Texas?  That's our state bird, you know, and it was chosen because its personality matches that of your average Texan - TOUGH!   ;)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Way back when, when people use to walk, yes I use to too, I use to get chased regularly on this one stretch of trees by those mean nesting mockingbirds.  So as I ran through that area the birds would continuously dive for my head and very often pick on my hair.  Can't say I like those #@$%$! birds.   >:(-

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
You have a "thing" about picking up animals, don't you?

Around here it is illegal to try to rehab any wild creature, unless you are licensed to do it..

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:30:19 AM »
Esther my wife and I are both alike it that respect, we both will rescue a baby animal. Often baby birds just don't make it and my wife will cry and tell me not to bring another one home but she will turn right around and do it herself. Baby birds don't last long in the refinery, we have a lot of feral cats there.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »
Did you take the bird home?  If you had just placed it out of the way of your vehicle, the mother bird will feed it.  That's what they do when their babies leave the nest until the babies can scavenge on their own.  :) 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
I raised a baby mockingbird once. They are very smart - like a parrot. And mischievous.  o(:-)

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
Did you take the bird home?  If you had just placed it out of the way of your vehicle, the mother bird will feed it.  That's what they do when their babies leave the nest until the babies can scavenge on their own.  :) 

I left it (in a hurry), the mother was guiding it which way she wanted it to go.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:33:23 PM »
So I guess the moral is: "Don't mess with Mrs. Mockingbird!".  (I hear those mockingbirds have a famous literature piece called "To Kill A Human" by Hooper Lee. LMAO!!!)

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »
I didn't have to look  {nono} I had one attacking the cat just for being outside (she's a rescue and inside now)

Offline ram

• Members
  • With us since: 03/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
 We had a baby robin in our front yard. It had one feather of down left on his head so he looked like a little old man! He ran into the street and a car was coming. :-\ The car stopped and the driver said that she wouldn't hit the bird and almost hit a mailbox trying not to hit a squirrel. It was so nice that she respected animals and didn't hit the baby bird!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"