Author Topic: First lotus bloom in Pink Ribbon pond  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
First lotus bloom in Pink Ribbon pond
« on: July 05, 2009, 09:24:27 AM »
The pink ribbon has several blooms too. But she's a late riser. They will open later inthe day, and maybe I'll add photos.
I think this little lotus is "Baby Doll".
First time I've had a lotus bloom. Like ever - I don't seem to have the knack for lotus.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: First lotus bloom in Pink Ribbon pond
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »
Congrats on the lotus bloom!   O0
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
wow and she bloomed before she went arial! She must really like her new pond.  How deep is she planted

Tink

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
She's in about 8 inches of water to the soil line. :)
I'm not sure this one goes arial. The other lotus in the pond is arial, but without blooms.
She's acting more like a water lily. Isn't - but acts that way. Leaves on the water surface, and so is the bloom.

I'd like to see bigger leaves. But this one may be a mini?  :D

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
Baby Doll is a VERY mini lotus...so 8" of water is VERY deep for her.
Probably why she won't grow aerial leaves.
Mine is in 1" of water and making aerial leaves.
Baby Doll is a true 'Bowl Lotus'. (mini, if not pygmy.)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:59:01 PM »
Lotus just seems to want to die. I have tried and tried and tried. It is like a gardenia - it wants this - but not too much, and has to have that, but not too much.

When setting up my pond, in adition to the oil change pans for the lilies, I invested a small fortune in a plastic half barrel for a lotus or two. Well, despite living as a paranoid 'your pond has to never drop an inch" person for six months - the lotus was just two inches down, it died.

It threw itself out of the pot - I put a piece of tile down to secure it - then it put up a few aerial fronds, all of which just fried and died. Ultimately I ripped it out and put a lily in the pot. Months later the lotus was trying to grow, but . . . . .too late!

I (through Sean) got some loti (lotuses?) from Johns, and I tried to imitate Joyce with pots o' lotus by the entrance, but sure enough, they died. Turns out one's climate ( can have nothing to do with my lack of a green thumb) has a lot to say about one's plants.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 03:56:30 AM »
Lotus just seems to want to die. I have tried and tried and tried. It is like a gardenia - it wants this - but not too much, and has to have that, but not too much.

When setting up my pond, in adition to the oil change pans for the lilies, I invested a small fortune in a plastic half barrel for a lotus or two. Well, despite living as a paranoid 'your pond has to never drop an inch" person for six months - the lotus was just two inches down, it died.

It threw itself out of the pot - I put a piece of tile down to secure it - then it put up a few aerial fronds, all of which just fried and died. Ultimately I ripped it out and put a lily in the pot. Months later the lotus was trying to grow, but . . . . .too late!

I (through Sean) got some loti (lotuses?) from Johns, and I tried to imitate Joyce with pots o' lotus by the entrance, but sure enough, they died. Turns out one's climate ( can have nothing to do with my lack of a green thumb) has a lot to say about one's plants.

Cheers,

Mike

I have the biggest problem with succulents like jade plants and hens and chicks.  I have tried watering when the soil is dry and not watering at all, only when I remember.  I kill them all the time here in Florida.  My parents didn't seem to have this problem up north where there was less humidity, and I tended to their garden or potted plants up there as a child/adolescent.  So, I am wondering if it ain't the dang humidity here?  Sorry, this post should be on another thread...its not about lotus...
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"